Affinity Publisher Customer Beta - 1.9.0.796

• Staff

Purpose: Updates and Fixes
Requirements: Purchased Affinity Publisher
Windows Store: Not submitted
Download: Download
Auto-update: Not available

Hi,

We are pleased to announce that Affinity Publisher Customer Beta 1.9.0.796 is now available as a download from the link above.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is significant update from the 1.8 version available for purchase - we strongly recommend that you do not use this beta for real work as data could be lost and the files you save are not guaranteed to open in previous or future versions of Affinity Publisher.

---

Data Merge
- Use the Data Merge Manager (Document > Data Merge Manager) to create a new datasource based on a Text / CSV, JSON or Excel file
- Insert Fields from the datasource into text objects via the Fields Panel
- Fields that represent image resource paths can be applied to Picture Frames
- Optionally, use the DataMerge Node Tool in your source document to create N-up tiled source records 
- Use 'Generate' from the Data Merge Manager to create a new document based on your source document and datasource

Package
- Use 'Save As Package' and target an empty folder to create a packaged copy of your document and collect used fonts and linked images into subfolders
- The package folder can be moved in its entirety to another location or to another device
- On re-opening the package, links to images will be resolved and fonts can optionally be temporarily installed
- It is important to adhere to copyright and licensing restrictions if redistributing images or fonts

Studio Presets
- Save and load custom Studio Workspaces 

Other Fixes and Improvements

Document Setup
Custom Margin colour not sticking 

General
Alt Gr+Tab breaks shortcuts
Fixed possible hang when font combo contains fonts we can't render

Import 
PDF import was getting tiling patterns wrong
Fixed crash the could occur opening PDFs containing objects with indexed colour spaces
SVG Importer stability improvement
IDML Import - Column rules
IDML Import - Increased use of IDML document defaults to inform the import process improving a number of cases 

Text
Hyphens not being displayed with certain font weights

Add Pages From File
Added option to 'Add Pages at end of document'
Added option to 'Add Before / After / Replacing Section'

Picture Frames
Add Picture Frame property 'Clear Picture Frame Background on Populate'
Converting a Picture Frame to Curves loses properties

TOC
Fix duplicate entries in TOC when heading paragraph spans frames

Preflight
Don't preflight check for missing fonts inside pass-through PDFs

---

To be notified about all future Windows beta updates, please follow this notification thread 

To be notified when this Publisher update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Publisher customers, please follow this thread

This is really great! Thanks guys!

Asus ROG Strix G17 Notebook:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 3.80 GHz with Radeon Vega Graphics | 32GB DDR4 3200mHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB Gfx | 2x 2TB SSD NVMe PCIe M.2 3x4 | Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22623.870

4 minutes ago, johannesz said:

Can you edit a saved package? I tried editing the .afpackage, it will show [Modified] but "Save" is greyed-out.

My guess is that you have to save the package under a new name and then you can start to edit, essentially creating a new version of the document. To me this makes sense because a package is for documentation and archiving and not for editing (but I may be wrong 🙂 )

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

17 minutes ago, johannesz said:

Can you edit a saved package?

On further investigation: you can edit packages but you have to save it as a package under a new name (= version).

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Data Merge in this beta is perfect timing. I have to generate 2.265 letters. ;) Working good so far. Downsides noticed: APu is very laggy (perhaps my PC), Page Range is not working and having no clue to work with picture frames. The last two things are already reported. Thx for your hard and brilliant work!

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed