• Staff

Purpose: Stability and General Testing
Requirements: Purchased Affinity Publisher
Mac App Store: Not submitted
Download: Download
Auto-update: Not Available

---

Hi,

We are pleased to announce that Affinity Publisher Customer Beta 1.9.0.796 is now available as a download from the link above.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is significant update from the 1.8 version available for purchase - we strongly recommend that you do not use this beta for real work as data could be lost and the files you save are not guaranteed to open in previous or future versions of Affinity Publisher.

---

New Features

Data Merge
- Use the Data Merge Manager (Document > Data Merge Manager) to create a new datasource based on a Text / CSV, JSON or Excel file
- Insert Fields from the datasource into text objects via the Fields Panel
- Fields that represent image resource paths can be applied to Picture Frames
- Optionally, use the DataMerge Node Tool in your source document to create N-up tiled source records 
- Use 'Generate' from the Data Merge Manager to create a new document based on your source document and datasource

Package
- Use 'Save As Package' and target an empty folder to create a packaged copy of your document and collect used fonts and linked images into subfolders
- The package folder can be moved in its entirety to another location or to another device
- On re-opening the package, links to images will be resolved and fonts can optionally be temporarily installed
- It is important to adhere to copyright and licensing restrictions if redistributing images or fonts

Other Fixes and Improvements

Import 
PDF import was getting tiling patterns wrong
Fixed crash the could occur opening PDFs containing objects with indexed colour spaces
SVG Importer stability improvement
IDML Import - Column rules
IDML Import - Increased use of IDML document defaults to inform the import process improving a number of cases 

Add Pages From File
Added option to 'Add Pages at end of document'
Added option to 'Add Before / After / Replacing Section'

Text
Hyphens not being displayed with certain fonts

Picture Frames
Add Picture Frame property 'Clear Picture Frame Background on Populate'
Converting a Picture Frame to Curves loses properties

TOC
Fix duplicate entries in TOC when heading paragraph spans frames

Preflight
Don't preflight check for missing fonts inside pass-through PDFs

---

To be notified about all future Mac beta updates, please follow this notification thread 

To be notified when this Publisher update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Publisher customers, please follow this thread

Unable to launch Publisher. It starts with a Welcome Screen but then it stops. 😞

I'm on macOS Big Sur Version 11.0 Beta (20A5384c)

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

2 minutes ago, MEB said:

Have you tried to reset the app?

Hi MEB, 

I've just done that and it started. Will start testing now.

Thanks

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

• Staff

@Herojas93 (or anyone getting a crash on run up in Big Sur) Can you navigate to ~\Library\Application Support\Affinity Publisher Beta and upload the folder here?

After doing this if you hold CTRL it'll reset the application and hopefully fix the problem

Edit: A console log after the crash on runup would also be useful

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Can no longer move layers in the layers panel with the mouse, the shortcuts still work. - same with latest beta for Designer

Also bombs when saving a pdf using pdf passthrough

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

3 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Can no longer move layers in the layers panel with the mouse, the shortcuts still work. - same with latest beta for Designer

Also bombs when saving a pdf using pdf passthrough

Just reset both Pub and Designer and now layers work as normal - 👍 

As with the previous beta, pub still bombs when saving a pdf with passthrough using all PDF/X presets but works great using PDF (for print) 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Wow, Data merge node does more than data merge - if you add an object in there that gets duplicated too - it's like power duplicate in a grid - pretty cool!

MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS 12.6.1 Monterey
Affinity Designer : 2.0  Affinity Photo: 2.0,   Affinity Publisher: 2.0

This beta of Publisher is crashing on launch under Catalina 10.15.7…

Edit #1: I'm trying to isolate the issue, and I believe it must have something to do with my Studio panel arrangement. I was redoing it from scratch after resetting all my preferences, and when reopening it so that I wouldn't accidentally lose my customization, I got it stuck in a new crash loop.

Edit #2: Lending further credence to that theory, a simple Studio reset did the trick.

Edit #3: Dragging the Layers panel tab off from its group instantly crashed Publisher (and it's reproducible, every single time). Something must've gone seriously wrong with the Studio code in this Beta, IMHO… I hadn't seen this level of instability in a long time.

The Merge data & Save as Package all resources are really great improvements!

Checked both and works fine for me on latest public beta of MacOS Big Sur. 

Thanx guys! 

Screenshot 2020-10-14 at 12.52.51.png

iMac: 3,6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9 / Graphic: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB / System: Sonoma 14.1 (23B74)

• Staff

Crashing on Startup

It looks like the instability on startup with this build occurs if you have certain panels floating by default in your studio layout. To work around, hold CTRL while running up and check 'Reset Studio'. We will issue an update to fix this issue as soon as we can.

4 minutes ago, AdamW said:

Crashing on Startup

It looks like the instability on startup with this build occurs if you have certain panels floating by default in your studio layout. To work around, hold CTRL while running up and check 'Reset Studio'. We will issue an update to fix this issue as soon as we can.

I did it yesterday and re-arranged it again.
For the moment seems is working fine.

Thanks

7 hours ago, AdamW said:

Crashing on Startup

Tried this and crashed as soon as I clicked on Reset Studio. What is odd is that I crashed twice, but I have 12 (twelve ! ) console crash reports all at the same time.

publisher beta crashes.zip

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks for the beta. I had high hopes.

I was involved in the development of the PDF printing process back in the early 90s with Gary Cosimini at Adobe - and have been teaching Adobe products internationally for 25 years, primarily to the profession design/editor/adv world. I'm hoping Affinity will create a product to compete with InDesign/Quark, but the PDF problems keep plaguing it.

I'm finding most of the same issues with the beta as with the market versions of Affinity. Fonts act like they did in the very early days of PDFs: breaking apart, missing characters, changing fonts. Truetype and Type 1 fonts embedded in the files show up as missing. I've tried placing, opening (with the various options) an everything else I can think of. Yes, I can open the PDF in another app, resave it (using either distiller or photoshop) and the file will work, but Affinity just can't handle. 

I'd appreciate any advice. After almost thirty years as the "PDF Guru," and teaching InDesign since before it became public, I'd love to find another design app to "wow" the professional design world with. 

Thanks, Kevin.

54 minutes ago, kevinslimp said:

I'd appreciate any advice.

Hello @kevinslimp,

The only advise/suggestion I can give you is to get involved in the beta testing of Affinity Publisher and report all bugs and annoying things you encounter while using it. I think the vast majority of users hanging out in this forum have high hopes. Only time will tell … . Meanwhile you can contribute to its development.

I'm pretty sure the issue is Affinity's ability to open PDF files and edit them. This conflicts with Publisher's newer ability to "place" PDF files, without making them editable. When we were first working with PDFs, we ran into issues similar to this – and still sometimes do with PDFs that include CID fonts.

Here's what I've learned: PDFs created through Acrobat Distiller, rather than exported from an application, do not have issues with Publisher. Distiller doesn't create CID fonts, which I think are the issue with Affinity's PDFs. It looks like it sees any TTF for Type1 font as missing and tries to replace them - even if they are embedded into the file. PDFs without fonts don't have any issues.

A permanent fix might be to get rid of the editing PDF ability - and place the PDF files as other applications (InDesign, Quark, Word, etc) with all fonts intact.