You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Affinity Forum!

I'm fairly new to Affinity and having been learning as I go since buying it over the summer, but I have come across a hurdle that I need some help with. 

I'm in the early stages of founding a new online wine startup (caminodelvino.co.uk) and I have been practising and playing around with my photo and editing skills in the run up to launch. Using a mini home studio as my setup, I've managed to edit a photo (see wine photo attached) to an acceptable level so far and recently, used the healing brush tool to edit out the crease line on my backdrop so that it looks more 'professional'. I have three questions:

1) is there a better alternative to using the healing brush for the removing background creases or folds? 

2) if not, is there anyway I can make it non-destructive to the photo at all, or is this likely to be a last decision editing job in any circumstances?

3) As much as blue is a nice colour, it isn't the backdrop I'd like to use for my wine on my website. I have alternative backdrop colours, but I was wondering if there is anyway I can lay over a full background colour (RGB Hex #FEF0E2) to be more inline with my companies colour palette, whilst retaining that 'professional' photo look about it (i.e slight shadow effect etc. - see shoe photo for example).

Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!

Cutizzi_Bottle_(whole_doc).png

Nike SB Shoe Photo.jpg

9 minutes ago, Smee Again said:

I have a homebuilt lightbox where I place a large piece of poster board. The curve will make that line disappear. You'll never have to get rid of it. Lightbox plans here:

Cheers for the vid Smee, looks pretty awesome that 👍

One slightly 'blunt instrument' approach to changing the background colour in the original 'bottle' picture is to select the background using the Selection Brush tool, create an HSL Shift Adjustment layer, nest it into the image layer to create a mask and then play with the HSL settings until you achieve the result you need.

643553302_Screenshot2020-10-14at13_56_48.thumb.png.d303325a1c3e26847702688faffdf5bf.png

I say 'blunt instrument' because it doesn't remove the reflections of the original background colour from the bottle.

Without seeing your original image it's hard to comment on the best way of removing the crease line from the backdrop, but I can't see anything too obvious, so you must have done a pretty thorough job 👏

Cheers,

H

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

... still not perfect but I did a Merge Visible on the Background and HSL Adjustment layers, inverted the selection to the bottle and ran a Selective Colour adjustment on the merged layer, reducing the Cyan and Magenta in the Cyans. 

Screenshot_2020-10-14_at_14_10_26.thumb.png.eaceef9b049c9ac54afd4ed77d25fbcd.png

.afphoto document attached, although I've trimmed and resized it slightly to keep down the upload/storage size.

Chin-chin!

H

booze.afphoto

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Many thanks for the help and interesting suggestions @h_d, much appreciated. Didn't think of making an HSL adjustment so will have to give that a go using a white background to make adjustments a little easier and see if I can make it more of a cream colour from there. Cheers man 

If you would like to see the original RAW image and build it up from there, I have attached it below.

IMG_4543.dng