You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dell Optiplex 9020 Desktop is this fast enough for Affinity Photo

I'm planning on buying this desktop for affinity photo editing. Is the specs of this desktop good enough to operate Affinity Photo and is it fast enough?

Dell Optiplex 9020 Desktop

CPU: 64 bit

Intel Core i5 4570 3.2GHz 64bit CPU

4GB DDR3 RAM

500GB SATA HDD

My current laptop right now works perfectly with affinity photo with no problems. The specs of my current netbook are:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4300 CPU @ 1.90Ghz 2.49Ghz

8GB

Edited by lightingbolt1997

Ideally, I would add some more RAM,16GB should allow you to push APhoto to its limits plus efficiently run other applications at the same time on your PC

But ultimately it all depends on your daily workflow as regards the level of photo editing you do and what other apps you run at the same time

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 minute ago, carl123 said:

Ideally, I would add some more RAM,16GB should allow you to push APhoto to its limits plus efficiently run other applications at the same time on your PC

But ultimately it all depends on your daily workflow as regards the level of photo editing you do and what other apps you run at the same time

but comparing with my current netbook the performance is great. Will the performance from this new desktop im planning on buying will it be as good or faster then my current netbook?

Just reread your 1st post and now notice it's a SATA drive not a SSD drive

What are you going to be using this PC for..?

Is it amateur work (hobby type editing) or for professional business use?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Change the SATA HD to an SSD

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

6 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Just reread your 1st post and now notice it's a SATA drive not a SSD drive

What are you going to be using this PC for..?

Is it amateur work (hobby type editing) or for professional business use?

Professional work, product photography. Will be using this computer dedicated for editing my photos using Affinity Photo.

I save all my files on onedrive. Or if i have clients i probably delete all the files after i finished with my clients work. I will hardly save anything on the desktop and everything will be saved on my onedrive account.

Sorry, but personally I could not recommend that spec of PC for professional use. For some reason your first post made me think it was just for hobby work (low level editing)

It looks like an old model from 2013?

Too little RAM
No SSD
Basic graphics "card" (Affinity will use the graphics card for faster processing as from version 1.9 - currently in beta testing)

I know it's cheap but I think you will be looking/needing to upgrade it within a year. APhoto generates some pretty big files so the load on the drive and memory is pretty high, especially for professional photo editing.

20 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Sorry, but personally I could not recommend that spec of PC for professional use. For some reason your first post made me think it was just for hobby work (low level editing)

It looks like an old model from 2013?

Too little RAM
No SSD
Basic graphics "card" (Affinity will use the graphics card for faster processing as from version 1.9 - currently in beta testing)

I know it's cheap but I think you will be looking/needing to upgrade it within a year. APhoto generates some pretty big files so the load on the drive and memory is pretty high, especially for professional photo editing.

This is my current specs on my current netbook: 

8GB

Affinity Photo works perfect on my current netbook

So comparing my current netbook to the Dell Optiplex 9020 desktop is this faster or slower?

12 minutes ago, haakoo said:

If for more pro work I'd definitely go for better specs.
At least 16 ram better use 32
Designated videocard, affinity versions 1.9 will make more usage of the gpu 
And like suggested, invest in ssd instead of hdd 

what is the difference with my current netbook specs and the the Dell Optiplex 9020 desktop. As for my current netbook works really well and fast even working with RAW files and i can do multitasking with this netbook (i have like 20 tabs open right now in chrome and typing this message while my affinity photo program is open and working on several jpeg files which i converted from RAW format) . JPEG files im working on in Affinity Photo right now are 22mb-35mb per image, i have like around 6 photos open in affinity photo.

So i want to know if the Dell Optiplex 9020 desktop will be around the same speed as my current netbook?

here are specs of the Dell Optiplex 9020 desktop and my own current netbook:

4GB DDR3 RAM

500GB SATA HDD

My current netbook:

8GB

10 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Nothing much probably but you don't need to buy on old pc from 2015
I'd save up some money and buy a new midrange pc.
Not a cheap one because it will be unusable in a year or two.
Also not an expensive one as it will be a midrange in a year or two.

The first question is always; what am I going to do with it?
Just mail and watch some youtube ,buy a chromebook or cheap old laptop
Just office related and some pictures here and there, buy a decent laptop or desktop.
More images and video production buy a good desktop and leave out laptops here because they can do this stuff but aren't the best approach.
Or buy a gaming laptop or desktop ,they are made for heavily calculating graphics.
Or build one yourself by choosing your components and have a pc store assemble it for you and listen to their advice if stuff doesn't work best together.

so if the Dell Optiplex 9020 desktop will work as good as my netbook now, i don't think i worry getting an expensive one as my netbook i have works perfectly with Affinity Photo with zero lags and i edit a lot of images and do RAW files and very big jpeg files with no lag.

My current netbook was very cheap as well when i brought it (used) its not the best specs very cheap cause of this, but i can do a lot with this netbook and a lot of photo editing (heavy editing with Affinity Photo and also video editing, i also have many many tabs open in chrome and watch yt etc I have also played games like those bigfish hidden object games and lots of point and click games.

Besides the Dell Optiplex 9020 has Windows 10 Pro and its 64 bit. So i don't think i need any upgrades apart from windows updates.

So just to confirm with you the specs on my current netbook is similar to the specs on the Dell Optiplex 9020? and which computer do you think is faster?

Just now, haakoo said:

I gave you my opinion but you have to make the choice.

ok thanks but just to confirm the specs of my current netbook and the Dell Optiplex 9020 are both very similar specs? thats all i need to know as long as Affinity Photo runs well on the Dell Optiplex 9020 then im happy. As it runs perfect on my current netbook im on now and i do a lot of heavy editing with RAW files and huge jpeg files on Affinity Photo

4 hours ago, lightingbolt1997 said:

ok thanks but just to confirm the specs of my current netbook and the Dell Optiplex 9020 are both very similar specs? 

Not really - the Optiplex 9020 only has half the RAM of the netbook and, IMO, is badly underconfigured.  

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

If you workload was really that heavy I doubt a Netbook would be zipping along on serious jobs. If you think it is fine for what you do now it would only be massively improved with upgraded RAM and a decent GPU. As others have mentioned an SSD would be a huge improvement. Assuming you have it on the netbook you are using, the PC will feel slow when starting and opening apps. SSD's make HUGE improvements for day to day use. Yes Affinity should run fine but there is no way to say it will work exactly like your netbook as with windows there are other things that can effect performance that go beyond the hardware.  

8 hours ago, wonderings said:

If you workload was really that heavy I doubt a Netbook would be zipping along on serious jobs. If you think it is fine for what you do now it would only be massively improved with upgraded RAM and a decent GPU. As others have mentioned an SSD would be a huge improvement. Assuming you have it on the netbook you are using, the PC will feel slow when starting and opening apps. SSD's make HUGE improvements for day to day use. Yes Affinity should run fine but there is no way to say it will work exactly like your netbook as with windows there are other things that can effect performance that go beyond the hardware.  

this is the specs for my netbook im on now. As i mentioned there is no lags at all and i edit a lot on Affinity Photo and do raw files and work with big jpeg files and several images at the same time open, plus i have lots of chrome windows open at the same time, never had a problem with Affinity Photo. The current netbook has SSD.

8GB RAM

64 bit cpu, 64 bit Windows 10

here is the Dell Optoplex Desktop i am now planning to buy with better specs: (please tell me if these specs are more suitable)

• Intel® Core i5 4570 Processor (6MB cache, 3.20 Ghz) Up to 3.60 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology
  • 128 GB SSD
  • 8 GB RAM
  • Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

There's a balance to be achieved between disc and RAM. The less RAM you have, the more pages (of memory) have to be saved and interchanged on the disc while you are editing. And the RAM available to your Affinity application is what is left over after all the Windows files. Hence, if you have 4Gb RAM, you might have 1Gb for Affinity. With 8GB, (almost) all the extra 4Gb becomes available, to give you 5Gb for Affinity. If you buy an 8Gb PC, you will be no better off than with your current setup. 16Gb of RAM should show a marked improvement. However, the limiting factor for speed is probably the read/write time to the disc. The SSD should show a BIG improvement over SATA. But the space available to Affinity follows the same rules - you have to take away the space used by Windows etc. etc. etc.

The professionals on this forum (I'm not) seem to find that multi-gigabyte afphoto files are common, with several copies open at the same time as you edit layers. These will soon occupy a substantial part of your 128Gb. Several projects running at the same time will put your space under pressure. If you can, go for 500Gb, or at least 256Gb. One Drive - well, in my part of the world, Office 365 has been 'offline' three times in the past month. I wouldn't want to trust my working files to One Drive!

Follow Carl123 !!

There is one other issue - compatibility between the motherboard and the operating system. I don't know the PC you mention, but Carl123 thinks it might be rather old. Motherboards and operating systems fit together like a jigsaw puzzle and the shape of the pieces change over time. I have a 2013 motherboard and it 'clunks' increasingly as Windows updates are piled onboard. It works, but there are times when it slows down the process. (I have an Intel i7, 16Gb RAM, 1Tb SDD).

IMHO, the closer you can get to the advice coming from the experts, the better chance you will have to being happy with your purchase.

14 hours ago, lightingbolt1997 said:

this is the specs for my netbook im on now. As i mentioned there is no lags at all and i edit a lot on Affinity Photo and do raw files and work with big jpeg files and several images at the same time open, plus i have lots of chrome windows open at the same time, never had a problem with Affinity Photo. The current netbook has SSD.

8GB RAM

here is the Dell Optoplex Desktop i am now planning to buy with better specs: (please tell me if these specs are more suitable)

• Intel® Core i5 4570 Processor (6MB cache, 3.20 Ghz) Up to 3.60 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology
  • 128 GB SSD
  • 8 GB RAM
  • Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Looks like you should see a big improvement with the CPU. From what came up when I searched the i5 4300 is only 2 cores where the i5 4570 is 4 core

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-4570-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4300U/2770vsm4996

Not sure if Affinity software takes advantage of GPU's or not, but you have not listed what you are getting in that regard. 

Based on your specs the Dell should be faster as it is a faster processor. RAM I am assuming is all DDR3. 

8 hours ago, wonderings said:

Looks like you should see a big improvement with the CPU. From what came up when I searched the i5 4300 is only 2 cores where the i5 4570 is 4 core

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-4570-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4300U/2770vsm4996

Not sure if Affinity software takes advantage of GPU's or not, but you have not listed what you are getting in that regard. 

Based on your specs the Dell should be faster as it is a faster processor. RAM I am assuming is all DDR3. 

thanks for your answer Im glad it will run faster it is DDR3 ram.

My current netbook runs affinity photo with zero problems and no lag, i work with big files like big jpeg and raw files and have no problem with Affinity Photo. So this new desktop im planning on buying should run Affinity Photo with no problem at all and should run even faster. 

Your answer is the best answer i have got at the moment as you actually answered my question.

cheers

11 hours ago, Ralph said:

There's a balance to be achieved between disc and RAM. The less RAM you have, the more pages (of memory) have to be saved and interchanged on the disc while you are editing. And the RAM available to your Affinity application is what is left over after all the Windows files. Hence, if you have 4Gb RAM, you might have 1Gb for Affinity. With 8GB, (almost) all the extra 4Gb becomes available, to give you 5Gb for Affinity. If you buy an 8Gb PC, you will be no better off than with your current setup. 16Gb of RAM should show a marked improvement. However, the limiting factor for speed is probably the read/write time to the disc. The SSD should show a BIG improvement over SATA. But the space available to Affinity follows the same rules - you have to take away the space used by Windows etc. etc. etc.

The professionals on this forum (I'm not) seem to find that multi-gigabyte afphoto files are common, with several copies open at the same time as you edit layers. These will soon occupy a substantial part of your 128Gb. Several projects running at the same time will put your space under pressure. If you can, go for 500Gb, or at least 256Gb. One Drive - well, in my part of the world, Office 365 has been 'offline' three times in the past month. I wouldn't want to trust my working files to One Drive!

Follow Carl123 !!

There is one other issue - compatibility between the motherboard and the operating system. I don't know the PC you mention, but Carl123 thinks it might be rather old. Motherboards and operating systems fit together like a jigsaw puzzle and the shape of the pieces change over time. I have a 2013 motherboard and it 'clunks' increasingly as Windows updates are piled onboard. It works, but there are times when it slows down the process. (I have an Intel i7, 16Gb RAM, 1Tb SDD).

IMHO, the closer you can get to the advice coming from the experts, the better chance you will have to being happy with your purchase.

My current netbook with specs:

8GB RAM

This netbook im on right now i always edit my professional photos with Affinity Photo, i develop raw files and work on big jpeg files and i have never had any problems with Affinity Photo and zero lags.

Affinity Photo the min requirements is 2GB run. 

I am very happy with my netbook and it is on the lower specs but works perfectly with Affinity Photo. So i will not be taking other people advice or your advice by buyig the best of the best desktop and laptop which costs $4000 i7, 1tb computer and the lastest model when i dont need it and not everyone can afford a super expensive computer. If Affinity Photo works perfect on my current low spec netbook im not forking out a really expensive spec desktop if i dont need to and i cant afford to be spending a lot of money on one. If we are talking about creating video games or making professional videos then i might consider a much high spec computer but Affinity Photo minimum requirements is not that much, you dont need the best of the best pc to work on it, my low spec netbook proves this point.

I am buying this which this desktop seems better specs on my current netbook right now and i believe it will run better and faster then my current netbook im on right now, if my current netbook runs perfect on my netbook im using now, this desktop will run even better:

• 128 GB SSD
  • 8 GB RAM
  • Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

On 10/13/2020 at 12:24 PM, lightingbolt1997 said:

I'm planning on buying this desktop for affinity photo editing. Is the specs of this desktop good enough to operate Affinity Photo and is it fast enough?

4GB DDR3 RAM

500GB SATA HDD

My current laptop right now works perfectly with affinity photo with no problems. The specs of my current netbook are:

8GB

Just to revise for the RAM, it its better for at least 16 Gb