You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can I use Aff Photo to make leaves on a tree yellow in a black and white image?

Yes.

You can convert a black & white image to a colour document then use masks with colour selections to paint in the leaves. I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but that's one method.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

Yup - got it the first time.

Convert your B & W image to colour/New pixel layer in the colour of your choice/Add a mask layer then invert the mask/Use your chosen brush to paint over the leaves to expose the colour.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

5 minutes ago, PaulWilliamson said:

I think I know what you mean now!  I just need to figure out how to do it!

Thank you,

-paulw

Do all the above steps and set the coloured masked layer blend mode to either overlay or soft light and set the opacity as required.

Go to the document tab and click convert format and then assign RGB mode.

Untitled.jpg

Hi,

I am a bit confused about the steps.

I am trying to make the front of the train burnt orange, like it is in color. All the way to the number 7504.  But just the front grill would be fine. 

Maybe this is an extreme example instead of leaves on a tree!

I added a new pixel layer but couldn't pick the color I have as my primary color on the color swatch.  The color burnt orange is the outermost color circle.  The square next to the pixel layer is black.

Adding a mask layer added a white square with a black center next to the original pixel layer.

I don't exactly know what you mean use a brush to paint over the leaves to expose the color.  I do not see anything but the original color picture.

I have attached a color and black and white versions of the picture.

Thanks!

-paulw

P1000533 (Custom).JPG

P1000534-blackandwhite (Custom).png

First things first.

Is this what you want to do?

edr.jpg

55 minutes ago, PaulWilliamson said:

That is super!  How did you do that?

If I learn how to do this, I can use this effect on other images!

Thanks Jules!

-paulw

Ok.

This is really simple to do and doesn't take very long. Forget red leaves and such - you already have the burnt orange colour you want in the colour photograph; this will simplify matters.

1. You will need one colour image and one B&W image as separate files but of the same size.

2. Open the colour image then drag & drop the B&W image so that it's the top layer.

3. Add a mask to the B&W image.

4. With a brush set to black (colour), and mask selected, paint over the parts of the train you need to be orange; in effect this will erase the B&W parts and expose the orange image underneath.

5. To clean up the blue sky in the train window set the brush to white (mask selected) and carefully paint it out.

6. Because there are two separate layers you can now make colour/exposure/brightness and contrast, or any other adjustments you like before the image is flattened, or, make adjustments after the image is flattened. The choice is yours.

tr2.jpg

edr3.jpg

Like most things in photo editing there are many ways to achieve the same result.

Method 2

1. Open colour image.

2. Add a HSL Adjustment layer and desaturate the image.

3. With a black brush paint over the train to expose the original coloured image of the train. Adjustment layers come with built-in masks which behave in exactly the same way.

This method is probably the easiest way to do it, but bear in mind that you will no longer have individual layers to make fine adjustments on.

HSL method.jpg

Thanks!

I do not have a paint brush tool in Affinity Photo, only a vector brush tool. I looked under custom tools and it is no where to be found.  There is no little arrow on the bottom left corner of the vector brush tool to change it  I am using 1.8.5.703

So I used Affinity Designer and followed your instructions and it worked out great!  But I went out of bounds and now have a little of the blue sky showing.  I am not sure how to get rid of that.

-paulw

3 minutes ago, PaulWilliamson said:

I do not have a paint brush tool in Affinity Photo, only a vector brush tool. I looked under custom tools and it is no where to be found. 

You should definitely have one.

1420604164_ScreenShot2020-10-16at10_29_39AM.png.70a6b9e39ea2fcc64a2b52238c735d74.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 minutes ago, PaulWilliamson said:

Thanks!

I do not have a paint brush tool in Affinity Photo, only a vector brush tool.

Affinity Photo comes with a paint brush tool as standard.

21 minutes ago, PaulWilliamson said:

P1000526 (Custom).JPG

747924395_P1000526(Custom).JPG.6ec10ae5275fd66d51a29de13af4634b.JPG

37 minutes ago, PaulWilliamson said:

Hi,

Using this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZznuJ05GbnA

I changed the rose from pink to purple and made the background black and white.  Unfortunately the background turned out blurry.

Oh well, I learned something useful!  He is a very good teacher!

paulw

rose-441930-1 (Custom).jpg

purplebwrose-441930-2.jpg

The original background was already blurry by intent - probably used depth of field focus.

20 hours ago, PaulWilliamson said:

Thanks!

But I went out of bounds and now have a little of the blue sky showing.  I am not sure how to get rid of that.

The unwanted colour bled parts can be cleaned up by flipping the brush colour to white.

White reveals/Black conceals.