You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I'd like to create a mesh gradient in Designer.

I understand that Designer lacks this feature, so I'd like to know if it's possible to fake it with some trick.

If it's not possible, and instead I have to use a professional tool to achieve the effect, is it somehow possible to reimport into Designer without loosing the gradient (even if just readonly)?

For a free third-party tool which supports the creation of mesh gradients see Inkscape. For example ...

In order to exchange/import you might try to use the SVG based clipboard copy/paste or the SVG/PDF file format to get things into Designer.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware of that workaround, but the problem is that when importing either SVG/PDF in Designer, the gradient mesh is lost.

It seems that once you create the gradient mesh in another application, you can't import it in Designer. The shape shows up, but without any fill.

15 minutes ago, Boe said:

It seems that once you create the gradient mesh in another application, you can't import it in Designer. The shape shows up, but without any fill.

Since Designer doesn't support gradient mesh it can't make anything out of those, it's vector file format parsers probably skip those parts then. Though it usually should at least be able to showup base64 encoded raster portions (bitmaps) of those then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2