You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

White text with unwanted outline

Using the artistic text tool in Affinity Photo I selected white colour with 14pt Bodoni for an A4 size document (photo). As I type, an unwanted black and grey outline/edge appears on each letter; a print shows the same effect (as per the snip image at 200% attached).

I know there are other posts about unwanted outlines on text, but they don't seem to address this particular issue. And I have successfully used white text on photos in the past by the same (I think) method. It doesn't seem to relate to any stroke setting (which doesn't appear on the context bar anyway - or at least not that I can see).

It looks like I have introduced a pixel problem somehow but I can't find any way to eliminate it. Does anyone know why it happens and how to get rid of it?

Afphoto unwanted outline effect.png

8 hours ago, pmcabinet said:

Does anyone know why it happens and how to get rid of it?

If you do not provide any more detailed information (screenshot), it is difficult for anyone to advise you - it's a blind shoot. For example: stroke is nonzero, fx,...? 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Select text layer, select the Node Tool (A) and you will see if you have a stroke on the text. to remove the stroke click on the circle with the red line.

image.png.1245929c2901d18b07f092dac07d0071.png

No stroke
image.png.b8df272ef358c0ba1b96d085eb876cb7.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Hi @pmcabinet,

If you're still having trouble after following the above suggestions, please can you provide a copy of your .afphoto file here, so that we can investigate this further?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thanks for the replies, but I'm a bit confused. I can't see a node tool in Photo so maybe this refers to Designer? Also, I have checked Decorations in Character panel (Photo) - no stroke selected.

Two helpers ask for a screenshot; I have already uploaded a snip which is shown with my original post - is it not visible? Rather than any outline it shows a sort of black edge pixellation. In response to Dan C I tried to upload the whole afphoto file, but the browser crashed for some reason and I have had to type it all over again!

I suspect my problem is something to do with resolution/sizing, so this is the method I used:

1. Create new A4 document (for printing) from templates

2. Place selected image (original size 3456x4608 px) in doc and resize (bounding box handles) to suit

3. Create layer mask and paste new sky

4. Select Artistic Text tool, white swatch, 24pt Bodoni and type text within image

This is when I see black (also some grey) edges to the lettering

This morning I tried a different method: open file in photo at original size, select and enter white type, go to print, choose 'Fit to printable (A4); result perfect. So what happened with my original method (which I prefer because it gives me more control)?

I will try again to upload the problem file.

Willow_Oak__Bedgebury_2.afphoto

• Staff

Many thanks for your file!

I can confirm that this is caused by an outline being applied to the text, which can be seen in the Decorations section of the Character Panel. Please see the below screen recording showing how to access this, and change the required setting - 

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Go into the Character Panel and in the Decorations section remove the stroke (click on the long black line)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Your stroke/outline selection is set to 0.2 pixels. Do as firstdefence and carl123 suggests - this will remove the black outline.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

16 minutes ago, pmcabinet said:

Two helpers ask for a screenshot;

If we are talking about "screenshots", it is a record of your workplace, or a record of your settings (see Character panel and Decoration settings), from which you can read the cause of your problem.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Resolved!

Many thanks to all of you, especially Dan C for making that excellent video! I can't believe how I missed that Stroke setting when it had already been suggested; another lesson learned.

Can I make 'no stroke' the default, or will the last setting be maintained until I change it?