You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Meow...

paolo.limoncelli

Hi!

I'd like to share the last painting I made.

I sketched the scene and the "cat" directly on AffinityPhoto using my pencils (that can be downloaded here)

megaLionKing_pencils.jpg

This is the value painting step, I used some Gouaches from the available set and new ones I created for this specific work.

megaLionKing_values.jpg

And at the end colours!
I was looking for a movie-like toning.
For this step I used only Recolour and Curve Adjustment layers clipped by painting layers (Foreground/Lion/Fog/Background/Sky) and applyed a bit of sharpening to enhance strokes.

megaLionKing.jpg

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Wow!, wonderfully textural sky and with harmonious tones throughout; going all the way white with the light of the sun and positioning the left of the Lion close to centre beautifully balances the composition.

Although I personally tend to prefer monotone over colour, your economic colour manipulation merges marvellously with this majestic cat.

Very well done, as always!

Sure man!

I use to paint main shapes (eg. head) in a pixel layer, and than shading/texture/volume in a clipped one.

Once you've chosen your palette (I use a gamut mask to do it) the colouring process is pretty fast:

1) A recolour layer is used to give main hue

recolour.jpeg

2) And curves to shift shadows and tune it better

curves.jpeg

This is done for each shape: body, mane, foreground, background, sky...

At the end you can decide to use a global curve too.

This process is non destructive and you can keep painting and adding details using a gray ramp.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Rediscovered this thread over the weekend and had some fun doing some experimental doodling.

First I painted everything in greyscale using the Photo's "greys" colour palette. I made sure everything was on it's on layer to be able to  experiment with different colours. Then added recolour layers to each and had fun playing around. On top of everything I added a white balance layer to globally adjust the tone to add some nice warmth overall.

Pretty excited about the potential in this non-destructive workflow to do something a little more "advanced" than this doodle. I like the idea of painting in grey tones concentrating on the form of something and not really worrying about colour as I go, then being able to play with colour and other things such as lighting/texture etc... hmmm, must get busy with a real project next.  :)

Most of this can be done in Designer as well, the adding global noise as a layer and lighting/texturing is only available in Photo though but recolour and white balance is possible.

Cheers.

post-305-0-45595200-1485207408_thumb.png

post-305-0-12237700-1485207549_thumb.png

post-305-0-29251600-1485207618_thumb.png

post-305-0-23658500-1485207636_thumb.png

Question for you Paolo.

Say I'm painting on a greyscale layer that is underneath a recolour layer and the recolour layer is visible, so it appears that I am painting in colour...when in fact I am painting on the grey layer. If I use the eyedropper shortcut to pickup a different shade of grey, even though I am really on the grey layer, it seems to want to sample the colour on screen (which happens to be the visible recolour layer) and not the layer I am on... any way around this other than just hiding the recolour layer while I'm painting?

A few times now I've started painting thinking that I'm painting in greys... but I have actually sampled the screen colour and of course that screws up the whole reason for painting in greys...  :huh:

Hopefully this makes sense...  :mellow:

I tend to complete the value painting process, then I start "grading" using curves.

If I need to touch the underpainting I tend to use the Grayscale palette instead of picking with ALT.

In alternative I turn off the adjustment.

If I'm satisfied I bake the adjustment and keep on refining the old way (pick and paint).

But... The possibility to pick from real data and not corrected one could be a very interesting feature... :) Don't you think?

Wowsers!

Utterly stunning work. Love, love, love it!

George

eejits: a curious collection o' creatures - www.eejits-online.co.uk 

SUPPORT eejits on PATREON. Exclusive Content & Rewards available! www.patreon.com/eejits

Get some awesome unique eejits merchandise at https://www.eejits-online.co.uk/shop

I tend to complete the value painting process, then I start "grading" using curves.

If I need to touch the underpainting I tend to use the Grayscale palette instead of picking with ALT.

In alternative I turn off the adjustment.

If I'm satisfied I bake the adjustment and keep on refining the old way (pick and paint).

But... The possibility to pick from real data and not corrected one could be a very interesting feature... :) Don't you think?

Thanks Paolo for your insightful workflow description. I need to lock some of the adjustment/recolour layers as well as I sometimes accidentally start painting on those too...

Yes I think a "sample from active layer only" option for the eye dropper or the "alt" picker would be cool. Maybe as a global pref or a tick box on the layers panel?