You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

curves disappear after trying to use the add tool

I have been having this problem a lot. I make designs that will be cut with a laser. This will be a sign and I need the words to connect to each other where the t and the m are touching and I need both words to connect to circle. When I select the layers, and click the add tool, my words disappear. Like I said, this happens to me often when I attempt to do this, so I must be doing something wrong or I am missing a step in the process. 

Screenshot (10).png

Screenshot (11).png

40 minutes ago, Rachel75 said:

I have been having this problem a lot. I make designs that will be cut with a laser. This will be a sign and I need the words to connect to each other where the t and the m are touching and I need both words to connect to circle. When I select the layers, and click the add tool, my words disappear. Like I said, this happens to me often when I attempt to do this, so I must be doing something wrong or I am missing a step in the process. 

Could your selection also include the circle?  Can you make sure only the letters are in the groups selected?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Instead of selecting the ‘Group’ layers, expand the groups in the Layers panel and select the letters within those groups. Then add the selected letters to the elliptical outline layer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I  am not certain that you want to Add the letters to the Ellipse. I think you want to subtract the letters from the Ellipse. Then just give the object a stroke and no fill.

1457526432_ScreenShot2020-10-10at9_27_56AM.png.89784913620e1d1e4d63c724afbca2bb.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

@Alfred that is what I originally wanted to do, but it wouldn't allow me to select the word within the group (it is no longer individual letters within the group because I added them together so the letters are all connected now, so the only thing in the group is the entire word). When I would try to select the word within the group, it would automatically highlight the group instead. 

@Old Bruce it doesn't give me an option to subtract. I'm sure I am doing something wrong, but I just can't figure it out. Is there a way that I can upload the file to where anyone on the forum can work with my actual file and figure this out. I don't know how to do that with Affinity. What kind of file would I have to upload it as?

@G13RL I have already done "expand stroke" on the ellipse. I have a feeling my problem is the fact that I am selecting the group, instead of the word within the group, but it is not allowing me to select the word within the group. It just automatically highlights the group instead. I could be wrong, but that's the only thing I can think of at this point. Do you know why it wouldn't allow me to select the word within the group? Is there a way that I can upload my file so that you or someone else can actually work within my file to find a solution?

• 2 weeks later...

I have this problem too! it happens all the time! It only seems to work occasionally if i only select 2 objects, but iv got an image now with about a hundred that i want to unite so cannot do that individually and it keeps disappearing! I know I am doing it right because I do the same thing with just a couple and it works fine. So is this a bug?