You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Brush Pain with Wacom Intuos Pro Discontinuous Strokes

I am not really sure whether this is a compatibility issue between my Wacom and Affinity, but when I use Sketchbook and other paint software no such issue exist, so I suppose it's Affinity Photo's configuration issue:

When I draw in Brush mode, and especially when making detailed strokes on a smaller canvas area, sometimes one or both of the two things happen: 1) The starting stroke automatically connects to a previous ending stroke; 2) After ending a stroke the next stroke simply doesn't show up - no matter how hard you press or draw. To fix the first issue obviously the only way is to "undo", to fix the second issue I just need to raise my hand and start a new stroke.

It's a bit hard to describe and I cannot even reliably reproduce this because this happens almost randomly and I haven't seen any pattern yet - except that it seemed that if your starting and ending strokes are very close together it's very likely to happen. This used to confuse me when I was using Color Replacement Brush Tool, but in this case I am sure I am not using Color Replacement Brush Tool. Please see corresponding video for details - notice while I was writing "D" it was two strokes, one stroke for the line, the other stroke for the curve, but for some reason the second stroke tends to get lost. While I was writing "=" sign however, not just the second stroke get lost, the first stroke connects to the second stroke's starting point. I am affirmative this happens only with Affinity Photo (and Publisher, for that matter) - it doesn't happen with Sketchbook or gInk.

There is something else that seemed similar though I am not sure whether relevant or is just different bug: when I switch my pen to the eraser (Wacom Intuos Pro pen has an eraser at end) outside canvas area it sometimes (usually) doesn't detect this, and remain in Brush mode instead of switching automatically to Eraser mode - this happens especially when you are doing this rapidly. Similarly when you switching back to pen from eraser it sometimes doesn't detect either. As you can see from video above, I don't think my computer's spec should be an issue - most likely it's a software issue. Again, same thing doesn't happen in other drawing softwares.

I don't know if i have the same problem or if i understood you right, but i want help on my issue too (and maybe we have the same problem, so i will post here).
Before starting, you use Affinity publisher (but with affinity Photo brush and mode), whereas i use Affinity Photo, so there is this difference.
i use a Wacom tablet too, to be more Specific:
Mesa Digitalizadora Wacom Intuos Pen Small CTL480L - Arena Bit - Informática
Wacom Intuos Pen Small Tablet.
I too don't have this problem with other softwares.

My problem seems to be some stamping feature of Affinity Photo (either bug or feature, not a feature if i don't have an option to deactivate it, more like a bug or bad design choice) when using the Paint Brush tool, this can be easily reproduced with with some large brush, if i tap twice with the pen (very lightly, but still detectable) the brush will stamp in large size on screen and when i move the brush (without removing it from the tablet after the second tap (i.e. holding it in place)) the brush will not paint anything (leaving only the stamped stuff onscreen). I really dislike it because it breaks my flux while drawing, i need to use ctrl+z a lot because of it and can't do fine details too, somebody help us to change this configuration or at least make it optional in the next update?

The brush should only stamp with the intensity used by the person and with one tap only, and continue into a stroke if we want too, without any button whatsoever, that way, if we try to draw/write something it doesn't stop us from doing it. This should be in an available configuration at least.

Please, free us from the Death embracing grip of Adobe!

Edited by Next Leo

• Staff

Hi @Allan Windmill,

We couldn't replicate the issue here.  In Preferences for Affinity on the Tools section, what is Tablet Input Method currently set to?  Also make sure your Wacom drivers are up to date and also settings in use in the Wacom app?

@Next Leo Could you post a screen recording of the issue?

Hey stokerg, i for some weird reason, couldn't replicate the problem while recording the issue with cam studio... but i took an explanatory pic with the brush i used and method to make it, very simple.
I had this problem prior to using cam studio (i downloaded only because you asked for a video), so no correlation. Even if not using it but by letting it open i will not be able to replicate the problem... Maybe it's some overlay problem?

Please, help me out!

BUG AFFINITY PHOTO.png

@stokerg Thanks for your reply! I changed Tablet mode to high accuracy and that solved the issue.

@Next Leo Thanks for your follow up! It's unfortunate but it's glad to know I am not alone on this issue. However, I couldn't reproduce your issue either. But I suggest you try: 1) Recording using OBS Studio or NVIDIA GeForce Experience; 2) Change tablet mode to high accuracy and see whether that solved the problem.