You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

SAVE Not Working on iPad

dcgall

I’m working in the iPad version. IOS 14.0.1  Designer v1.8.6.1

I’m finding that saving a file from within the design doesn’t always work. I have to jump out of the design to the gallery view and SAVE there. Very annoying and distressing to find that SAVE is unreliable. 

8 hours ago, dcgall said:

I’m finding that saving a file from within the design doesn’t always work

That’s odd. Where are your files stored? What is your default save location? How are you opening the files that don’t save? What happens to let you know when it’s necessary to use gallery save? Could you describe your workflow, it might help determine what is happening, maybe a screen recording if you can reproduce the issue.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

The files are stored in the default location on my iPad. I discovered this anomaly when I save (within the design) and switch to another app. When I come back to design, if it was automatically closed by iPad, I open from gallery view and the recent updates are not there. 
problem is that it’s not consistent. 

I always save to iPad and open from gallery. I don’t always close the app. I usually switch to another app and return to design later. 
I’ll try to get a video capture - as you know, computer problems always disappear when tech it trying to resolve...

Thanks for your help. 

8 hours ago, davidgall said:

I usually switch to another app and return to design later. 

iPads have very limited ram compared to a desktop computer and when you have complex designs you have iOS managing how that limited ram is distributed among open apps. When switching apps, iOS may reallocate ram used by one app that has lost screen focus to another app that has gained it. I’ve seen a number of reports here from people losing work because they changed app focus leaving Designer in background, (it’s thought that this loss of work is due to ram reallocation) but I don’t recall anyone losing work after saving before switching. I feel the app should be able to manage ram better but currently it is what it is and we work around it’s limitations.

The mods here may have something to say re the apparent non saving after tapping save (that is odd behaviour and may be related to the number of background apps running leading to ram shortage but I’m just guessing).

I would just add that if working on complex designs it’s a good practice to close other apps while running affinity. Let’s it have the sole use of the iPads limited supply of ram. Also, occasionally do a hard reset of the iPad to clear out ram. This actually resolves many issues on iPad (yes it’s getting like Windows in that respect).

Hopefully the mods can assist with your issue.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff

Hi davidgall,

Unfortunately we're aware of an issue that makes the 'Save' option inside the document somewhat unreliable! I will get your comments passed on to development - unfortunately I would suggest to use the Save option in the Gallery as you have been doing.

With regards to the other issue, as DM1 has said this is something we have no control over, and is instead something handled by iPadOS in that it will decide when to close an app down rather than keep it suspended.

• 2 months later...

Hi Sean P,

I am a designer testing out the Designer app and have the same issue with the save button inside the app not working. I found this out after working on a document for a few days and assuming every time I would hit “save” it was actually saving. After closing the document, I realized nothing had been saved since the first save as. I am on an iPad Pro 14.2 by the way. We were thinking of rolling out this app to other designers on the team but this save issue is a huge bug if you can lose days of work even when being consistent about hitting save. Is there a timeline when this bug would be resolved?

Thanks,

Jozef

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having this issue too.   I use the 'Save as' function to get the file to sync to cloud as the 'Save' function doesn't work.  I lost a lot of work before I realised there was an issue.

I'd also like to know if this will be resolved soon, it makes working between ipad and desktop a big challenge.

14 hours ago, LisaDownes said:

I'm having this issue too.   I use the 'Save as' function to get the file to sync to cloud as the 'Save' function doesn't work.  I lost a lot of work before I realised there was an issue.

I'd also like to know if this will be resolved soon, it makes working between ipad and desktop a big challenge.

From the responses I’ve gotten, I don’t think affinity is going to fix it since there is the alternative to SAVEing in the Gallery. If Affinity is not going to fix, they should remove the option (albeit false) to SAVE in the doc. 

9 hours ago, dcgall said:

From the responses I’ve gotten, I don’t think affinity is going to fix it

Have you tried the beta to see if the problem still exists?

A status on this bug would be rather interesting. It is crazy if you can't trust save.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, dcgall said:

Sorry for your loss.  I’m extremely surprised that Affinity is mute to this issue. At the very least, remove SAVE in the file leaving the only option for the SAVE that actually works. 

In part I have no doubt this is due to the sh*tty way Apple handles file management on iOS and iPadOS. But since this is a known issue, maybe work on something that's reliable and bypasses Apple? Removing the misleading Save option is one way, forcing a new file write every time to ensure data loss never happens. Another option would be a direct-to-cloud write. Many apps ask for your OneDrive / Dropbox / GDrive login and write their files directly to the services. This is very common and I use a couple of apps that do this across Windows / Android and iPadOS.

EDIT: I have a word of advice to anyone browsing this topic. Unless something pretty nasty happens to the Designer app, your document will always stay available, with the latest changes included, so long as you don't close the document. The issues I'm experiencing happen when I hit the save menu, presume the document has been saved to the device, and proceed to close the document inside Designer before making sure it's saved. If you don't close the document, then it remains available for further attempts to save it. As such:

DO NOT CLOSE YOUR DOCUMENTS

Not until you're absolutely, completely, positively sure the current state has been saved. For me this would mean upload the file to OneDrive, open it on my Windows machine, and see all the latest changes there.

If you don't have another machine, or you don't plan on taking the file outside your iPad? Make a copy of your document using the Files app. Open that copy and see if the latest changes are there. They are? Fine, go ahead and close the document inside Designer. The ARE NOT there? For the love of everything DO NOT close your document. Try to save it with another name, try save as, try exporting. Just do. not. close it.

6 hours ago, LCamachoDesign said:

Just do. not. close it.

Just to clarify... are you referring to the Home Screen menu 'Close' command or closing the Workscreen by tapping the back button?

3 hours ago, LCamachoDesign said:

The home screen menu close command.

Right. Doing that deletes the current sandbox version. Definitely tap Save in Home Screen before Close.
Normally, after saving, the Home Screen icon (sandbox version) appears to be 'linked' to the saved file however I have also encountered situations while testing/playing with files where that link is broken so saving in Document Menu Save, updates the Home Screen sandbox version but not the stored file. Must have another play with this and see if I can recreate the behaviour.🤔

On 2/5/2021 at 10:37 AM, LCamachoDesign said:

DO NOT CLOSE YOUR DOCUMENTS

Dcgall wrote....

I’m running the latest OS on my iPad and I find that if I jump out from Designer (to another app) or I’m idle and the iPad goes to sleep, Designer has closed.  Poof, all changes gone!  I know this doesn’t directly relate  to the original post, but it relates to a Designer issue with iPad - one which Affinity should be interested in resolving  

24 minutes ago, dcgall said:

I’m running the latest OS on my iPad and I find that if I jump out from Designer (to another app) or I’m idle and the iPad goes to sleep, Designer has closed.  Poof, all changes gone!  I know this doesn’t directly relate  to the original post, but it relates to a Designer issue with iPad - one which Affinity should be interested in resolving

I’m sure Serif would like to resolve the issue if they could!

On 10/14/2020 at 12:24 PM, Sean P said:

this is something we have no control over, and is instead something handled by iPadOS in that it will decide when to close an app down rather than keep it suspended

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 month later...

I can confirm this behavior. I use the Affinity Photo iPad version 1.9.1. I created a new project, switched to the home screen and hit save. By default, it’s saving project onto my iCloud drive. Then I switched to File Manager and copied the file onto my Onedrive. Assuming everything was saved properly, I deleted the Project from iCloud, closed it in the home screen and exited Affinity Photo. A day later I started Affinity Photo, selected Open from Cloud, switched to my Onedrive folder and opened my project. Then I conducted some changes, switched to the home screen and hit save (even more than once). Again, assuming it was saved properly I closed the document and exited the app. Later that day, I tried to repeat the same steps but when opening the project, it had the content from the first day i.e. all may changes were lost!

I have no idea where the changes were saved if at all. I experience no issues when saving to and opening from iCloud or another storage location.

PLEASE HELP! 😫

It is now documented my numerous users that this is a fateful bug. And, Affinity has not responded so take that a their response to addressing it. 
STOP USING THE SAVE OPTION IN THE DOCUMENT. I have and I no longer lose my work. 

On 3/8/2021 at 1:41 AM, RGreen said:

I experience no issues when saving to and opening from iCloud or another storage location.

• 2 months later...

I try saving Aff. Designer documents both from within the app and also the gallery. I tried saving to iCloud and I tried saving to On my iPad, both of which have plenty of space. There are no documents when I go to check, nothing at all. I tried creating a new document with just a few marks in it, in case the complexity of files made a difference but it wouldn’t save anything either. I get no message, it looks likes it is saving but nothing gets produced. This is putting me off using Designer, I need reliable methods of saving work.