You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Two Cute Noobie Questions

Hi everyone!

I'm somewhat new to Affinity Photo. I love it lots, but there are two things I have not been able to google my way to finding out... Couldn't find it in the FAQ either (sorry if it's buried in there and I didn't see it).

Firstly, is there a way to assign the brush menu to the right mouse button? I've been using PS for many years and it's so ingrained that I can just quickly click the RMB (or a pen button) and resize my brush or pick a new one in less than a second instead of having to use the bars at the top every time. (I think this might be the last quality-of-life thing that's keeping me from switching entirely to Affinity Photo) Do I need a plugin for this or...?

Secondly, a bit about the symmetry tool. Is there a way to reset or re-center the symmetry point after dragging it around the canvas? I figured out that I can use Shift to snap it to a horizontal or vertical position, but can I snap it back to the center of the canvas itself?
(Question 2.1) Also, can I snap/align the symmetry tool to the center of an object or pixel layer? Like say I've got a circle/ellipse/square/whatever on a separate layer off to the side, it'd be awesome to be able to align the tool to the center of that layer.
(Question 2.2) This one might be more out of curiosity. Radial symmetry is cool, but is there a sort of checker-pattern symmetry mode too? Say if I have a black/white checker pattern and I want to draw a little symmetrical icon on all the white squares (or maybe ALL the squares), making sure that each symbol is centered in its respective square. I know this is probably too niche to be a feature, but I just wanted to hear if there is a good way of achieving this.

Thanks a lot in advance!! Looking forward to much Affinity joyousness.

Hi and welcome,

1 - you can use ctrl+alt, then click to cycle through your active brush settings, click+drag to change the current setting (size or spacing or whatever)

2 - unfortunately the symmetry tool in Photo doesn't seem to support any kind of snapping to object or canvas geometry,

in Designer you can however use symbols to create rotational/linear/mirrored patterns where you could also include vector shapes.

This clip shows a possible way, you can also flip the symbol copies horizontally or vertically instead of just transforming them,

all copies will update if you add or edit objects in one of them (unless you disable synchronization)

2 hours ago, thatGuy said:

... 1 - you can use ctrl+alt, then click to cycle through your active brush settings, click+drag to change the current setting (size or spacing or whatever) ...

Very handy ... good to know

THX

7 hours ago, thatGuy said:

1 - you can use ctrl+alt, then click to cycle through your active brush settings, click+drag to change the current setting (size or spacing or whatever)

Thank you so much! Not quite what I was hoping for, but I think I can make it work. It's a cool feature regardless! Now I'm wondering, would it be possible to map this function to a hotkey on my tablet...? Would be wonderful if I could have this at my fingertips. I barely ever touch my keyboard when I use Affinity. (I do have hotkeys for Alt and Ctrl on my tablet, but they're awkward to press together. Would love to have a single button for this and I still have 4 unused buttons, so plenty to use from.)