You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Just another plea, for Publisher on iPad Pro

Title says it all. Not a Desktop User anymore, as the iPad Pro capabilities have exceeded my expectations and creative capabilities. Not requesting an Affinity Video app...LumaFusion already the bomb for that, and iPhone capable even. No need for a presentation viewer, plenty of ways already. No need for anything that does not already exist on the Desktop systems version of Affinity products.

Really just another ‘tired old’ request at this point, so apologies...but please, Publisher for iPad.

Pages and others out there...just not up to par with Affinity’s.

36 minutes ago, wonderings said:

Personally I can't see working with page layout on an iPad or any tablet for that matter.

Personally I am with you in this regard. But OTOH would we have thought at a certain time (back) that we are using our telephones to take pictures 😉

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

42 minutes ago, wonderings said:

Personally I can't see working with page layout on an iPad or any tablet for that matter.

I'm with you there. I almost never use Photo and Designer on iPad, though I did purchase them. However, I think some people prefer it, and for the rest of us it will be handy to have occasional access to publications on the go.

Although I expect to almost never use it myself, "almost never" still means a sale for Serif! I will likely buy it on the first day.

1 hour ago, dominik said:

Personally I am with you in this regard. But OTOH would we have thought at a certain time (back) that we are using our telephones to take pictures 😉

d.

the future will tell us who was thinking forward and who wasn't, I am sure I will be shown to be correct on a lot of my thoughts when it comes to tech and software.

I do not think anyone would have guessed or predicted cameras in phones but I think from a usability stand point it makes sense which is obvious from the billion or so pictures taken every day. Now when it comes down to page layout on a tablet, I think that is very different. Personally when I am working in Indesign on a new project I am dropping things from all over the place, activating fonts, trying fonts, etc. On an iPad this is going to be a lot more structured and the ability to just drop in anything will not be anywhere near as fluid and easy. Now maybe it would be ok to edit projects that have already been packaged and are well on their way and the ability to make minor changes would be nice... if projects were in the cloud. Going back and forth with local files transferred between computer and iPad sounds like unnecessary hassles. 

Photo editing or the more creative elements make sense to me on a touch device for some people and how they work, page layout just does not seem to fit the bill. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2020 at 6:23 AM, wonderings said:

Personally I can't see working with page layout on an iPad or any tablet for that matter. Will definitely be curious to see what they come up with when/if it is released for the iPad. 

Initially, I felt the same. After making use of Designer's artboard tool, those feelings evaporated. Artboards aren't pages, but they're more alike than not. Having the trio on iPad, especially the way they work together..sounds to me like graphics heaven.

On 10/9/2020 at 11:53 AM, wonderings said:

the future will tell us who was thinking forward and who wasn't, I am sure I will be shown to be correct on a lot of my thoughts when it comes to tech and software.

I do not think anyone would have guessed or predicted cameras in phones but I think from a usability stand point it makes sense which is obvious from the billion or so pictures taken every day. Now when it comes down to page layout on a tablet, I think that is very different. Personally when I am working in Indesign on a new project I am dropping things from all over the place, activating fonts, trying fonts, etc. On an iPad this is going to be a lot more structured and the ability to just drop in anything will not be anywhere near as fluid and easy. Now maybe it would be ok to edit projects that have already been packaged and are well on their way and the ability to make minor changes would be nice... if projects were in the cloud. Going back and forth with local files transferred between computer and iPad sounds like unnecessary hassles. 

Photo editing or the more creative elements make sense to me on a touch device for some people and how they work, page layout just does not seem to fit the bill. 

Understandable. There are a few items missed in say Affinity Photo, like having multiple Windows open at the same time on the App with the overall Toolbar access at the top. But adapting to it or similar differences is readily easily achieved, and while fluidity based on desktop versions usage is there in a side by side comparison..the fluidity is only hindered by not properly utilizing the capabilities and accessibility the iPad has integrated. Have rarely if ever come across a situation not as fluid in design practices after learning the UI/UX..which is the only difference in the end. Even other publishing apps are advanced enough for it in ‘basic’ user aspects. Which is why after using both Affinity Photo and Designer on iPad...want the advanced capabilities that Publisher have to offer. Having Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher alongside Procreate and LumaFusion would be an almost complete mobile studio it already is. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/8/2020 at 6:30 PM, StudioJason said:

Not requesting an Affinity Video app...LumaFusion already the bomb for that, and iPhone capable even.

The LumaFusion Fall 2020 Sale has just begun. The app is available for US$19.99/£19.99/21,99€/AU$30.99 (Tier 20) down from US$29.99/£28.99/32,99€/AU$46.99 (Tier 30) until Dec 1st.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)