You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am a new user and struggling! I am still trying to use the refine tool competently on Affinity Designer. In my early days with Craft Artist (obselete) when I had finished using a tool, there was an arrow to deselect and choose the next tool. I cannot find it on here. Once I am operating the brush refining tool and have finished with it  - I cannot get out of it. What am I not doing? Thanks

If you are finished using the Selection Brush Tool (not sure what you mean by the “refine tool”) then you can press the Escape key to forget the selection you have created. You can then select any tool you want, or do something else. Selecting another tool while you still have the selection will continue with the selection as you have created it, without refining.

Thanks Gary - sorry not to be clear. I'm working on a PC. I had an image that I was refining using the brush tool. I decided to delete the image and begin again. The brush tool was still operational and I was unable to get rid of it. I have pressed the escape button but it is still there.

On a previous document - same problem I had refined an image. I then created a rectangle and dragged my image on to it - fine but then I couldn't get rid of the cross that wants me to create another shape.  I suppose in Luddite terms I just want something that I can click 'I've finished with that'.

I have watched the tutorials over and over again, and enrolled in an Udemy course, but I am not getting very far. I mostly just want to place an image that I have downloaded from a site and to be able to 'cut it out'. So I have been practising over and over again with the refine tool and beginning to find my way around it a bit, but this not being able to get rid of the tool I am using is proving a problem. If this isn't clear please don't feel you have to respond again.

If you mean the Refine Selection brush and dialog, then click Apply in the bottom right:

1753634872_Screenshot2020-10-08at13_10_51.png.1c3703b486e63ac65f077edbb933c411.png

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.