antonkudin

[Fixed] Getting lag when drawing with brushes (wacom or trackpad)

(p.s.: there is a copy at  https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/1251-trackpad-and-wacom-lag/?hl=twitter )

The movie appears not to show any delay to me. Got the file speeded up? What in particular should it show/should I see?

My experience with Affinity brush drawing is much worse. Even such worse that I thought it must be known to the team. Now I wonder: is it really new to Affinity?

> No results found for 'speed'.

> No results found for 'delay'.

whereas, for instance, 'speed' is tagged + 'delay' is mentioned in this topic:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/863-marque-selection-tool-keys-delay-invisible-while-drawing/

"(...) delay (...) lack in speed came back. Invisibility while dragging"

macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"

The vector brush is different to the raster brush. Because the vector brush creates editable vector lines, it has a small delay as it captures and analyses input points - in order to provide a pleasing result curve.

I agree that it might be 'waiting too long' - we'll look into that.

Please let me know if the lag is present when using the raster brush tool - if so, there is another problem..

AndyS

> vector brush (...) raster brush

Do you mention "personas" with this differentiation?

If yes: Ja! Bitte continue to explain! I never understood this "persona" thing. Who is who?

If no: In the brush panel I do see pulldown options, "Assorted" ... "Basic" etc.  –  But where to switch in resolution between pixel and lossless?

macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"

Draw persona is the top left button in the UI, pixel persona is the second button. They offer either vector or raster tool sets respectively, so in pixel persona the brush tool (9th tool down) only lets you choose raster brushes.

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Work: Intel i7-6700, NVIDIA Quadro K1200 and Intel HD 530, Windows 10   |   Home: Intel Q6600, NVIDIA GTX950, Windows 10

Lag is less when using pixel persona/bitmap brush, but still slower than PS (compare bitmap to bitmap, vector to vector).

Here's a comparison video with illustrator's default brush:

http://cl.ly/Xjv9/lag2.mov

Video is 60fps, so don't blame video :)

It's incredibly slow for me, is it really that slow for everyone?

I'm not an artist that draws using brushes all the time, but I know brush stroke register speed is one of the most important aspects for digital artists.

Recorded a raster-only video, comparing photoshop's default brush (25px) with affinity's pixel persona.

http://cl.ly/XjYu/rasterlag.mov

Look at how silky-smooth photoshop's brush is with large strokes (second "sketch").

It might be hard to translate in a video, because it's not you who's using the brush.

Is this really the brush performance everyone's getting, it's not a "bug" for me?

I agree speed still is a topic as are the brushes in general.

But having seen how fast everyone here reacts there will be a solution.

The last release candidate made things way better (at least for me). Only to

the end of my illustration I had some minor glitches.

I am just happy we have this cool mix of vector/pixels now in one program

and a dedicated team that will bring us great updates.

I would like to add that I am having a big slow down with brushes. I am running the latest Mac Mini and the specs have been totally maxed out so the hardware isn't the problem. The vector bushes in Illustrator all work fine.

We will improve the brushes in Affinity but the brushes in Illustrator can't be compared as they are not smoothed or drawn in the correct z order when being created. We.always try and draw everything as it would end up in your actual drawing.

I'd be ok with display/screen lag if affinity took all the data from input while making a stroke, but it doesn't.

It actually samples cursor/pen position only when it's drawing a new portion of the stroke (probably when it's not doing the smoothness calculation of the last segment?).

When drawing with fast strokes or swipes, it means circles become triangles or squares and swipes become straight lines. Sort of smoothed, but they aren't circles.

Looking forward to updates from affinity team, so far they've done a terrific app!

I'm getting major lag here also. Using Wacom Intuos4 and a maxed out Macbook Pro.

I guess for me it's about the experience. Perhaps the underlying math is better in Affinity but the act of actually drawing is poorer than say Adobe Illustrator. Illy "feels" smooth and responsive, whereas when drawing with the vector brush here I feel like I'm fighting with the program to get it to do what I want. I'd be happy if the software maxed all resources to draw the one line - if it meant drawing that line felt smooth and natural.

Hopefully you can improve this in future releases.

Great Job!

I'm getting lag too but with raster brushes. i just received a new pen tablet to replace my old wacom graphire 4. I have at least a 0.5 second delay when drawing a line on the tablet using the brush tool in pixel personna. 

I don't remember to have experienced the same problem with my old wacom. So I don't know if it's related to the software or the tablet drivers.