You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When soft proofing a photo, when should the soft proofing be done?

Since it can significantly change the way a photo looks, it seems to me soft proofing should the first step when editing a photo. But I really don't know. I have not found a tutorial on this exact question.

Thanks 

• Staff

Hi daveb2,

I personally would always edit my photo and soft proof as the last step.  I guess the theory being you have the image edited to how you want it to look on screen and you use that as the starting point for Soft Proofing.  I'm sure if anyone knows of a better technical reason why this tends to be the last step before printing they will post :) 

stokerg,

Thanks for the reply.

In searching for an answer to my question I found this response to another's similar question:

"The idea is that you place additional adjustments on top of the soft-proof adjustment to get the on-screen image to look right, then turn off the soft-proof before printing or exporting." (1/11/20 by walt.farrell)

Would you or anyone agree with this statement?

8 hours ago, daveb2 said:

stokerg,

Thanks for the reply.

In searching for an answer to my question I found this response to another's similar question:

"The idea is that you place additional adjustments on top of the soft-proof adjustment to get the on-screen image to look right, then turn off the soft-proof before printing or exporting." (1/11/20 by walt.farrell)

Would you or anyone agree with this statement?

Switch off the Soft Proof Adjustment before printing or exporting, but it should be the top layer in the document when switched on.