You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wrangling in the UI

Over the years, I've been working in Affinity products into my workflow little by little. One of the greatest causes of frustration and friction for me is the UI! It's cumbersome!

The panels take up a ton of space and crowd the interface. Everything looks cluttered. Arranging the interface is a mess. Things don't snap like they should, and be careful when moving panels that you don't accidentally touch other panels, things will get all out of wack!

I do have some suggestions:

Today while messing around with different ways to have everything accessible, but not take up the whole screen I found some useful features. Make shortcut keys for View>Studio>Show Left Studio and Show Right Studio. I use Q and W as those shortcut keys. That alone works great! But, it's not enough! The next thing I did [I think] takes advantage of a bug. I hope by pointing this out I don't loose this bug, but I hope the developers push this as a feature and a work flow. Hide the Left and Right Studios. Now, build a new pseudo Left and Right Studio (this one with more commonly used panels). It's a little glitchy to get things in place, but it works. Now, the beautiful part: With the use of the Tab, Q, and W keys, the interface can be quickly manipulated! It's pretty awesome!

I'm not really sure how to turn that into an intentional feature. I thought about the idea of "Studio Panel Groups" that can be created and called on with a shortcut key or icons on the top panel.