You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AI file to Affinity Designer file error error

Hi Guys,

I believe that this is a common error when opening Adobe AI files up on non-Adobe software, the information displayed on Affinity Designer is the following:

"This is an Adobe® Illustrator® File that was saved without PDF Content. To Place or open this file in other applications, it should be re-saved from Adobe Illustrator with the "Create PDF Compatible File" option turned on. This option is in the Illustrator Native Format Options dialog box, which appears when saving an Adobe Illustrator file using the Save As command.

This instruction says that ", it should be re-saved from Adobe Illustrator with the "Create PDF Compatible File" option turned on". The problem is that I don't have Adobe AI. Is there an online emulator available? Can I resolve this issue when using Affinity Designer?

Please advise.

21 minutes ago, Higg said:

Can I resolve this issue when using Affinity Designer?

Only be resaving the file, as the message indicates, with some other application. Sorry, I have no experience with applications that can do this for you.

A search indicates that https://www.zamzar.com/fileformats/ai might be able to do it, but I have no idea how well, or if it will have the same problem.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...

A major disappointment in trying to switch from Adobe Illustrator is the fact I can not open any of my Illustrator .ai files.  My files have several layers to them along with effects on some of the layers.  If I can't open these .ai files in Designer and have the ability to make changes to them means I will have to continue working in Illustrator.  The idea was to retire Illustrator, but if I have to go back and save files in Illustrator with PDF capability then it means I have to keep Illustrator.  And opening PDF compatible files in Designer doesn't bring over any effects I might have applied in Illustrator, such as drop shadows, etc.  Without being able to open the files I might just as well continue working in Illustrator.  This is something Affinity needs to correct. 

• Staff

@RichW

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

5 minutes ago, RichW said:

This is something Affinity needs to correct. 

It would clearly suit your particular needs better, but it is not something that needs "correcting" as it is not something that we claim to do, sorry.

Whenever one makes a decision about using software you have inadvertently decided to be dependent upon them and their infrastructure. In the same way everyone who chose videos does not demand that all DVD manufacturers provide a VHS drive too. If that's what you need then ours may not be the tool you need for that purpose.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon