You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Styles

jackamus

Unable to create a new style from selection without first cresting a new category.

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Seems to be working as expected here both when right clicking the selection on the canvas and selecting 'Create Style' and when selecting 'Add Style from Selection' from the style palette dropdown menu. The style is being added and I'm not being asked to create a new category, unsure why you are seeing this... are you seeing this across all documents/files.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

What is happening is exactly what Walt described earlier. I went back and created a new dotted line and then created a new category where I could save it. I have noticed this problem in different documents.

Will it help to create a file to download for you to inspect?

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

6 minutes ago, jackamus said:

What is happening is exactly what Walt described earlier.

Here, for those wondering:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Doing a bit more 'testing', this seems to be specfic to the stroke width... e.g., if I create a shape and add a 2pt solid stroke, I can add this as a style to my currently selected styles palette ad infinitum, but if I change either the stroke width (e.g. say to a 4pt stroke) or change the stroke style (e.g. say to a 2pt dash stroke instead of a 2pt solid stroke), then I can no longer add this as a new style to the currently selected styles palette but I can add it to a new or different styles palette.

If however, I revert the stroke width back to the original 2pt solid stroke (i.e. the original stroke style) I can again add this as a new (albeit identical) style to the original styles palette. The behaviour is replicated regardless of the currently selected styles palette.

Example

Create a square and give it a 2pt solid black stroke, add as a style to the currently selected palette. You can add this as an identical style to the same palette repeatedly. Change the stroke width, say to a 4pt solid stroke or a 2pt dash stroke (or anythng you want) and you can no longer add as a style to the currently selected styles palette but you can add it to any other styles palette you select and the same behaviour is replicated with the newly selected styles palette, i.e. if you change the stroke width you can no longer add this as a style to the new currently selected styles palette.

Revert back to the original 2pt solid stroke and once again you can add as a style to the original styles palette as many times as you want, which is completely counter intuitive as in it is letting you add identical styles to any styles palette but it is not letting you add what should be a new style to the same style palette when the stroke width is changed, despite this technically being a new style.

Change the colour of the stroke and not the stroke width or style and you can add as a new style to the currently selected styles palette as you would expect.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344

34 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Change the colour of the stroke and not the stroke width or style and you can add as a new style to the currently selected styles palette as you would expect.

I agree with your observation about the change of colour allowing you to be able to save the object as a style. Extremely odd, one would think that the thickness of the stroke on its own would trigger it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I guess this is the ‘bug’, i.e., the stroke width...

This all seems a bit complicated. I have been using this 'Styles' feature for years without the current problem and that is why I started this thread.I have styles for dotted lines, chain dot lines and ellipse line thicknesses and it only now that I wanted to add a new one but couldn't without creating a new category.

I still feel that it is a bug.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

Hi jackamus,

This is a known issue that is with development to be fixed. It seems to be seeing the fill or stroke colour the same and assuming every attribute is the same when its not. I'll get your comments passed over to development. 

Many thanks Sean.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0