You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo does not open high resolution bitmap

I don’t think this is a fault in AP,  I think the file may be corrupted in some way.
I tried opening it with Preview and Pixelmator. Preview sort of managed it partially but really was not happy. And Pixelmator just hung and showed nothing.
Attached is what Preview managed to show after a minute or so;

1893596303_Screenshot2020-10-07at14_23_31.png.36e1ca02d9dbaeb14a8a11bc3379d2ca.png

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

1 hour ago, markw said:

I tried opening it with Preview and Pixelmator. Preview sort of managed it partially but really was not happy. And Pixelmator just hung and showed nothing.

I got very similar results with Preview.app. Pixelmator Pro (different from Pixelmator?) also hung trying to open it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@R C-R Many years ago, before Pixelmator Pro there was Pixelmator.
Back in the day it seemed to me it showed some promise that it might with time become a viable alternative to Adobe’s stuff.
Then, one by one, Serif started making the Affinity apps, and here we are 😎

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

5 hours ago, markw said:

@R C-R Many years ago, before Pixelmator Pro there was Pixelmator.

There are some things I like about Pixelmator Pro, like the various machine learning features & the just added support for AppleScript, but overall I find its tabbed sidebar UI & a few other things about it make it much clunkier to use than AP.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The image is from the production of one of our magazines and didn't cause problems using the Adobe products, although it has a huge pixel size of 107680 by 75480. I have re-compressed this file to be able to upload it using Photoshop 2020. In fact, Photoshop does wrong by applying a color profile information of sRGB, which is wrong to my understanding, since this is a pure black & white bitmap file. My GraphicConverter 11 warns about this issue, but opens the file.

I have re-saved the file using GraphicConverter without a profile information, but exiftool still finds this having an sRGB profile. I used the TIFF G4 compression. Affinity Photo behaves the same as before, it claims to be opening the file, but even after several minutes, nothing happens. I will attach this new file version.

However, hanging up on file opening is always an error. The application should either open it (like Photoshop does, quite quickly), or complain about the problem and then cancel or ask the user (like GraphicConverter does).

378123g4.tif

FWIW - I tried to open it in AP and it crashed. I tried in Serif PhotoPlus and got a message saying "Failed to open". It did open in Irfanview, but only showed a white background with some random black marks like markw posted.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Update: After a long time – 1 hour? – the picture finally opened and could be used. So in the end this might be basically a performance issue. Photoshop opens it in seconds. From a user experience perspective, this still feels like an error. At least it should be possible to terminate such a long process.

Does this image really look like the one I attached. If yes, no wonder everyone is thinking it is corrupted. :D PS CS6 complains that the image is too large (32767px maximum) for fax-coded images. AP 1.8.5x and 1.9.0x are instantly closing while opening the last image you uploaded on my side.

irfan.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed