You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Consistent Selection modifier keys please.

Should Serif make the selection modifiers more consistent between tools?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Should Serif make the selection modifiers more consistent between tools?

• Yes
    • No

So currently the various selection tools work like this:

Selection Brush tool:

• Drag to Add
  • Alt to subtract
  • (I have to press ctrl-d to start a new selection)

Flood Select tool:

• Always starts a new selection
  • RMB THEN LMB click to add
  • Alt  to subtract.

Rectangular Marquee select tool:

• Drag to add or move marquee (Never got move to work!) 
  • Drag+Ctrl+Alt to add???
  • Drag+Alt to Subtract
  • Drag+Ctrl to move layer with selection (never got this to work!)
  • Click to start new selection

Ellipse Marquee select tool:

• Drag to create or move marquee
  • Drag+Shift to constrain
  • Drag+Ctrl+Alt to add
  • Drag+Alt to subtract
  • Drag+Ctrl to move layer with selection

Column/Row Marquee select tool:

• Drag to create/ move selection (Never got it to select more than 1 pixel wide, not really seeing the point of this mode, but oh well)
  • Drag-shift to select range
  • Drag-ctrl-alt to add
  • Drag-ctrl-shift-alt to add range
  • Drag-alt to subtract
  • Drag-ctrl to move layer with selection

Freehand select tool:

• Click to create new selection
  • Drag to create/move marquee
  • Drag-ctrl-alt to add
  • Drag-ctrl to move layer with selection
  • Click-shift to select with straight edges.

That is just such a mess. Could you please make the selection modifiers consistent with each other.
How about:
Always just clicking clears or in the case of the flood selection tool, clear and then starts a new selection.
Ctrl-Click/Drag always adds to a selection. I don't need to move the image when I'm in the select tool. Hit v and I'm in the move tool, it's simple.
Dragging inside an existing selection always moves the selection (or make this a MMB or RMB operation for clarity)
Alt-Click/Drag always subtracts from the selection.
Shift-Click/Drag always constrains the select tool. In the Brush tool, that would disable the snapping to edges. In the Flood selection, it would set the tolerance, in the shape marquee tools, constrain the aspect ratio, in the Column/Row tool it does either a single column select or the range select (I vote the single column, since I would very rarely use that and it seems more like a constraint to just select a single column) and the free hand tool would select with straight edges.
If you must be able to move the image and selection, make it a RMB operation in all tools.
Now, because the buttons are separated, you can do combos:
Ctrl-shift drag would add to the selection with a constraint.
Alt-shift drag would subtract from the selection with a constraint.
Ctrl-alt drag.... Maybe that could be your move.
I'd be tempted to say you need one for dragging from the centre of the circle/box instead of the corner, but maybe THAT could use the RMB instead.
What do people think? Cause this current UI is an inconsistent mess to me and I find the RMB-LMB click sooo weird for the Flood select tool.

18 hours ago, Dodgyb2001 said:

Doesn't ctrl usually equate to cmd on the Mac?

It's not always that straightforward of a conversion.  For example, on Windows you can switch among open windows using Alt+Tab, but on the Mac the closest equivalent is to switch among open applications using Command+Tab (not Option+Tab).

In Windows you can close a window / exit an application using Alt+F4 but on the Mac it is Command+Q (for Quit).

• 2 months later...
On 10/9/2020 at 7:18 PM, fde101 said:

It's not always that straightforward of a conversion.  For example, on Windows you can switch among open windows using Alt+Tab, but on the Mac the closest equivalent is to switch among open applications using Command+Tab (not Option+Tab).

In Windows you can close a window / exit an application using Alt+F4 but on the Mac it is Command+Q (for Quit).

But in these cases it is isn't it? They're not using the combinations stated in my request for anything are they?

• 7 months later...

I find strong muscle memory difficulty where Shift-click/drag is NOT add to selection. Most tools I've used on the Mac that HAVE selection use Shift to Add, and Alt/Option to remove. Is it not that way in Photoshop?

I just spent 20 minutes looking at Affinity Photo preferences looking for these and they don't seem to be user-configurable.

• iMac 12,2, 16GB RAM, with Mac OS 10.13.6 (17G14033), Wacom Intuos3 9x12
• iPad Pro 12.9" 1st gen & Apple Pencil

http://dysamoria.com

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2021 at 1:44 AM, dysamoria said:

I find strong muscle memory difficulty where Shift-click/drag is NOT add to selection. Most tools I've used on the Mac that HAVE selection use Shift to Add, and Alt/Option to remove. Is it not that way in Photoshop?

I just spent 20 minutes looking at Affinity Photo preferences looking for these and they don't seem to be user-configurable.

I'm not averse to shift being to add while ctrl (cmd on the mac) is constrain, as long as it's consistent along all the tools. What messes up my muscle memory is EVERY SINGLE TOOL DOING SOMETHING DIFFERENT!!!! Ahem...