You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Viewport Choppy

zimmt

When using Affinity Designer in Full-Screen mode and having multiple tabs (files) open, from time to time a situation occurs where opening up an additional file/tab will cause the viewport to get choppy. The tabs also disappear but reappear once the cursor is moved over where they should be, at which point the choppiness vanishes.

Just a small bug I've noticed for a while and wanted to file :)

On another note, I've noticed that when opening Affinity Designer files through the Finder in another window, the file will be opened in the background and the view will not automatically shift to Affinity. Which is odd behavior considering every other program I know becomes active if a file for it is opened. I could swear this was not the case in an older version of Affinity.

This affects Affinity Designer and Photo, but only in Full-Screen mode.

I've always had visual glitches with Affinity apps (full screen or not), when resizing the window, when moving objects around screen, when panning the canvas (see link). Whenever I'm back in Adobe apps I'm reminded just how buttery smooth they are in comparison. I used to think it was my old 2015 13" MBP not keeping up, but I recently upgraded to a 2020 13" MBP with 32GB RAM and I still have the same visual glitches.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi @zimmt,
Sorry the delay getting back to you. I'm having trouble reproducing your first issue. Are you still experiencing it in the current Designer version (1.8.6)? What macOS version are you running? Are you using  a multi-monitor setup/config?
I've reproduced the second issue and will log it to be looked at.
Thanks for your feedback and support.

Still occurring in latest version on Catalina 10.15.7. Using an external monitor it happens in Full Screen and Windowed mode. Just on a laptop without external monitor it only seems to occur in Full Screen mode. This is using OpenGL. Haven't tried it with Metal... if that would even affect this.