You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher for Windows: Spread Origin -- can be made to 'stick'?

Several times I've tried to set the ruler's "zero" position (spread origin) away from the default location and have the change apply to the entire publication. But the change seems to apply only to the page where it was made. I tried it on a master page, thinking the change might be "inherited" by all document pages based on the particular master page. That didn't work.

Is there a way to set the spread origin position globally so that the "zero" position is set for all pages or spreads—until you reset it manually?

Affinity Publisher and Photo 1.8.3 (Windows). Lenovo laptop with decidedly sub-optimal monitor. At least it works.
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can have as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

• Staff

Hi @MikeA :)

Unfortunately I don't believe there's an option currently in Publisher, either to bulk update all of your spread origins at once, or to create a document with an offset ruler on all spreads, my apologies.

I'll move this post to the Feedback section of our forums, for our devs to see and consider adding in a future version.

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

8 hours ago, Dan C said:

I'll move this post to the Feedback section of our forums, for our devs to see and consider adding in a future version.

Thanks very much. I hope they'll consider it as an option. I thought about posting it as a feature request, but easily half the time something that doesn't seem to exist or doesn't seem to work turns out to be some newbie-level error I've made.

Affinity Publisher and Photo 1.8.3 (Windows). Lenovo laptop with decidedly sub-optimal monitor. At least it works.
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can have as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

I set up a 4 page trial file using the Master Page I moved the ruler zero point to the top left of the default column. The result was that the ruler started in the correct position only on page one and the default position on the other 3 pages. 

Strangely it worked once, then I count replicate it again! 

Would be very useful if this could be fixed!

3 hours ago, mswift said:

Strangely it worked once, then I count replicate it again! 

Would be very useful if this could be fixed!

Interesting that it worked once. I haven't been able to get it to work at all. But then I'm still on v.1.8.3 (Windows). Maybe this changed a bit in the newer version.

I can imagine someone not wanting the change to be global at times. Providing a choice in Preferences would certainly be a best-of-both-worlds solution.

– Anonymous cynic

8 hours ago, MikeA said:

I can imagine someone not wanting the change to be global at times. Providing a choice in Preferences would certainly be a best-of-both-worlds solution.

But if it is done to a master page, I cannot imagine someone wanting to change it on the master but not on the pages where that master is applied.

4 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

But if it is done to a master page, I cannot imagine someone wanting to change it on the master but not on the pages where that master is applied.

Note: more than 1 master may be applied... might become a conflicting setting.
By the way (workaround): If you don't use the pages panel but rather move by hand / panning then a custom ruler position appears to be maintained for the other pages, too.

However, I do miss a lot that the ruler, set with its origin to the spine on facing pages, runs in view/layout/read direction from left to right on both pages of a spread – instead of negative on the left page. A negative ruler may prevent from using coordinates for specific objects applied on both sides of a spread, e.g. '30 mm from the left edge'.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1