You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff
12 hours ago, kingcruso said:

hi is their any news when the canon r5 cr3 files will be supported ?

We don't have an ETA on when that camera (or any) will be supported.  We do try to update our RAW engine with new cameras each time we release an update

• 1 month later...

RAW  support in Affinity is provided by LibRaw, a 3rd party product.  The current version doesn't support the R5 but it's "expected" in the next snapshot, which would normaly be released sometime in Dec-Feb.  

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

• 2 weeks later...

hey all

i am new to this forum, using affinity since june this year, presently in its newest version (1.8.5.703).

now i too came across this CR3 RAW file problem, since i had a photo shoot yesterday, and received all the files in CR3 format. i am not able to see, neither open those files.

by now, i tried windows raw file extension, but doesn't work.

i know, i am not the only one who asked that - but is there any news on this? is this "libraw" extension something to use?

i am a little sad now, bc i cannot work on my files, although i definitely need to...

thank you for any reaction, chris

Try the Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.9.0.xxx) Win or Mac, which should offer some enhancements for the CR3 format handling and may include an updated libraw library. - Other than that you can use Canon's own Digital Photo Professional (DPP) software, which should always be up-to-date here for their cameras.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thank you, and this worked, but only once...

subsequent attempts said that "this file type is unsupported"...so it is close to working,  I am going to uninstall and try again...

No that didn't work either.  The only thing that happened between it working and not working was that I downloaded the latest Canon EOS utilities...It is almost as if that has stopped the new beta version from downloading .CR3 files.

Edited by Peter N

I’m a long time user both of Affinity Photo and Canon DPP, CR2 files are generally supported in AP, but once in a while I get some issues with CR2 files. Exposure settings get way off initially, and results for denoise could differ in details. And there is no simple way to copy settings to multiple pictures. 

As a workaround, I will do the raw development mostly in DPP and export as 16 bit TIF. This makes it easy to get consistent results for multiple photos quickly (e.g. exposure adjustment, white balance), as DPP can create “receipts” and apply them quickly to multiple raw files. And previewing / star rating is a bunch of pictures is not available at all in AP

In case of focus merge, it is actually recommended by Serif to pre-process raw files to get better results  

For advanced work I then continue with AP

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.