You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I wonder how to achieve effect of turning a shape into a set of parallel lines, sometimes going in different directions, like the one attached. Is there any simple tool/method to use?

And second, I often see an effect of differentiating lines width to gain a 3d structure effect (like https://www.behance.net/gallery/103252871/9-Styles-90-Logos-Volume-3?tracking_source=project_owner_other_projects ). The question remains the same - which tool should I use to achieve that?

43d21472839543.5bf535537f174.jpg

Hi ZRODLOSLOW,
Welcome the Affinity Forums!

For the parallel lines you could use a curve with several strokes applied, for instance:

1853087041_strokemulti.jpg.5f7f04dcc4920c66fc285ec4b3d02d24.jpg

Your linked image seems to have a gradient applied to the curves (I don't see a 3D structure effect).

1582735343_strokegradient.jpg.f1813e5fced6b19d25296fbf52cd9134.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thanks a lot! To be honest, I didn't know there's a possibility to add multiple strokes to one shape and I still don't know, but I'd try to find that feature :)

Regarding a 3d lines effect, I hadn't a good example at the moment, but please take a look at: THIS ONE .

Parallel lines provide a simple 3D effect, but some designers use them also to add a depth into the project - making some elements bevel/embossed/engraved or creating another pattern inside. i tried to understand how they do that and I guess they make 2 different shapes, cut by the parallel lines of different stroke and then put the one on another. But maybe there's different way.

16 minutes ago, ZRODLOSLOW said:

To be honest, I didn't know there's a possibility to add multiple strokes to one shape and I still don't know, but I'd try to find that feature :)

Which Affinity app are you using? The Appearance studio panel is available in Affinity Designer but not in Affinity Photo.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

21 minutes ago, ZRODLOSLOW said:

I use both, but now I'm talking about AD. I'm a absolute greenhorn there and feel ashamed because I can't find that :)

In the AD Designer Persona, open the View menu Studio subsection & put a tick next to the "Appearance" item.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 hours ago, ZRODLOSLOW said:

but I'd try to find that feature :)

Regarding a 3d lines effect, I hadn't a good example at the moment,

feel ashamed because I can't find that

Besides finding general info about the User Interface in the Online Help or Serif video tutorials or the forums Search you can also do a internet search with an external search engine. When adding "site:forum/serif.com" after your search keywords you can limit the results to the Affinity forums, for instance to filter the results for posted images. The rich and complex interface of the Affinity apps is worth to invest time & patience to get familiar with their principles. It can avoid questions about obvious or deeper details.

A kind of 3D appearance – like your linked multi-line examples (perhaps done with a true 3D app?) – requires in the 2D app Affinity some more steps and is limited by specific workflow details. The simplest 3D look can be achieved just by a specific shape of a curve, copied a few times. The copies even don't need to change in their shape but if they do it will strengthen their 3D impression. Also a variable stroke width can cause a 3D look.

Here a few forums links with 3D optics, starting with basic info about curve + variable strokes ... to more complex results ... finally using additionally the symmetry feature (consider: masking the latter partially will allow flexible choice of details and hide the used symmetry as obvious 'effect'):

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/80423-variable-width-strokes/&do=findComment&comment=422670

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/70573-disappearance-of-the-thicknesses-of-lines-related-to-the-pressure/&do=findComment&comment=366540

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/98476-how-to-make-gulshat-in-a-designer/&do=findComment&comment=527495

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/60249-doodles-with-ctrl-j-and-symbols/

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1