You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Strange Text Box Problem

dannyg9

Publisher: 1.8.4

MacBook Pro Retina, Mid 2012- running Catalina 10.15.7  /  2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7  /  Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

I'm fairly certain this is only happening with one document (100 page magazine - going to press in a 3 days).

Created the file about 3.5 weeks ago and the problem started about 8 days ago. 

I create a new text box and either attempt to paste text into the box or just type and this is the result I get:

981463294_ScreenShot2020-10-05at2_48_02PM.png.29f9ab3878bb8f1b474b0b10869524e8.png

The text or typing populates the box as a flush left single character width column. I've attempted to apply paragraph styles, no style, and create a new style, but nothing seems to rectify the unwanted format. I may be missing something in a setting or tool preset, but if I knew what it was I wouldn't be here reaching out for help. I can copy and paste a previously formatted text box from elsewhere in the document and then select all the text and either type or paste new text into the box and it's normal formatting.

Again, it's only when I draw a NEW text box in this particular document. Granted, I haven't tested every Publisher document I have but of the ones I have, this doesn't happen.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You probably have an offset for the Text frame or the Paragraph. Check the Text Frame panel and the Paragraph panel.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

5 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Further, check these out

1130586631_ScreenShot2020-10-05at12_20_21PM.png.3075b062089c7c3976a8cb0354c76925.png

520374018_ScreenShot2020-10-05at12_21_05PM.png.41901db6dc6edd29ca49de04e4c0aecc.png

Old Bruce, I wish that was it. I've checked those before, but I went back to check as maybe I had missed something. Everything is set just as your screenshots show. I even tried increasing the inset on the left side using the Text Frame panel and all that did was move the stack of text towards the right side. I'm still baffled but thanks for the suggestions.

What is the Paragraph Style in the screen shot? Check to see that it isn't overridden. Does the text frame have more than one Column if so what is the gutter width.

Is there a weird amount of Text Wrap on the picture? Is there anything other than the picture and the text frame on that page? Also check the master page(s) which are applied, check for hidden frames or objects.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

And if none of those ideas pan out, perhaps you could upload a sample version of the document with one of the misbehaving text frames, for us to examine.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

44 minutes ago, Murfee said:

Hi dannyg9, try clicking the reset defaults button while you still have the text box selected, this should remove whatever is causing the problem with new text boxes

1341449758_Untitled2.png.6bcd48c1e33a6599eaa5e2a796dd44fe.png

That did it. 

After clicking the reset, I made several more text boxes and all is well. Thanks so much to everyone and thank you Murfee. I suspected it had to be something simple. My only remaining question would be how this happened to the text box tool. 

Some users complain when tools don't remember their last settings. And some complain when tools do remember their settings.

It must be an interesting situation for the Developers at Serif...

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Some users complain when tools don't remember their last settings. And some complain when tools do remember their settings.

It must be an interesting situation for the Developers at Serif...

How true. That said, I'd love to know what I did to knock it out of whack. I'm certain it's not the program but some sort of error I made.

10 hours ago, dannyg9 said:

How true. That said, I'd love to know what I did to knock it out of whack. I'm certain it's not the program but some sort of error I made.

If it happens again we need to see a sample .afpub file that has the problem. It can be trimmed down from the original (just relevant master pages and a single document page), and text can be changed, images changed, etc. as long as the problem still manifests.

There are so many settings and other things that can cause issues that it's really not a productive use of anyone's time (the person with the problem, or us) to figure out the root cause by guessing. At least, once the top one or two common causes are checked.

In this case, you know a way to resolve the immediate issue, and that may help in the future, but that doesn't help you figure out what caused it, and how to avoid having it happen again. Nor, if it is related to a bug does it help get the bug reported.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If it happens again we need to see a sample .afpub file that has the problem. It can be trimmed down from the original (just relevant master pages and a single document page), and text can be changed, images changed, etc. as long as the problem still manifests.

There are so many settings and other things that can cause issues that it's really not a productive use of anyone's time (the person with the problem, or us) to figure out the root cause by guessing. At least, once the top one or two common causes are checked.

In this case, you know a way to resolve the immediate issue, and that may help in the future, but that doesn't help you figure out what caused it, and how to avoid having it happen again. Nor, if it is related to a bug does it help get the bug reported.

You're right Walt. I had saved a second copy of the file to see if that would resolve the problem (it didn't). I've taken that file and cut it down to 3 pages. On the first page there's a text box on the right side artboard that illustrates the problem. On Page 2 is a text box copied and pasted from page 3. Also on page 2 is a drawn text box with the text from the pasted text box, pasted into it, and that text box too illustrates the problem. All the text boxes on Page 3 are fine and don't have the problem that new text boxes have. 

Hope this helps.

MagazineTextBoxProblemOct2020.afpub

16 minutes ago, dannyg9 said:

You're right Walt. I had saved a second copy of the file to see if that would resolve the problem (it didn't). I've taken that file and cut it down to 3 pages. On the first page there's a text box on the right side artboard that illustrates the problem. On Page 2 is a text box copied and pasted from page 3. Also on page 2 is a drawn text box with the text from the pasted text box, pasted into it, and that text box too illustrates the problem. All the text boxes on Page 3 are fine and don't have the problem that new text boxes have. 

Hope this helps.

MagazineTextBoxProblemOct2020.afpub 2.61 MB · 0 downloads

1613385606_ScreenShot2020-10-06at6_33_07AM.png.ee05ee93097f3f18155042648f8999ef.png

2 minutes ago, dannyg9 said:

Tried that. Again, looks exactly like your screen shot but the problem persists.

That's the cause, not the solution. The value needs to be non-zero.

-- Walt
PC:

I think something is still wrong there that got it in that state. As soon as I move the column to 0.1in in the Text Frame Studio, it adjusts the text frame size to match, and I can even put it back to 0in, and the text frame becomes basically a vertical line. But in the state of the sample file, it has a 0in column, while the text frame is not sized to match.

8 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

I think something is still wrong there that got it in that state. As soon as I move the column to 0.1in in the Text Frame Studio, it adjusts the text frame size to match, and I can even put it back to 0in, and the text frame becomes basically a vertical line. But in the state of the sample file, it has a 0in column, while the text frame is not sized to match.

Garrett, If I'm understanding your reply, there's still something "corrupt" or incorrect with that example file/text box I uploaded. I really hope it's something simple, or it's just a fluke and it's not something in the program.

I agree, Garrett. I can't find anything via the UI that would allow the text frame to have that column width and that bounding box size.

-- Walt
PC:

22 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I can't find anything via the UI that would allow the text frame to have that column width and that bounding box size.

Create Text Box 
Add Text
Split into 2 columns
Set column 1 to 0 width
Set number of columns to 1

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

45 minutes ago, dannyg9 said:

Garrett, If I'm understanding your reply, there's still something "corrupt"

Sorry to be unclear. That was what I was suggesting. I think you have stumbled upon a particular quirk that led to more confusion than perhaps necessary. I suggest to Serif to see if this function can be cleaned up.