You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using Bleed on Export Persona (Designer)

I have 24 artboards of 2.5" x 3.5" (playing card size). When I use 'Export Persona' and create slices they print as PNG images at 2.5" x 3.5", which is good.

Now I want to send them to a printer and I want to add 0.125" bleed around the entire perimeter. I added this bleed in Document Setup under the File tab in Designer. Under Export Persona for the PNG settings I have clicked the box 'include bleed'. When I export the slice the image is still 2.5" x 3.5" but I was hoping it would add an area for bleed making the image 2.75" x 3.75". 

What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks for your help.

• Staff

Hi Merlin,

Welcome to the forums :) 

This should be working fine please could you try doing this with a large exaggerated bleed so it would be more obvious if its applied?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

You may also need to check Include bleed under More in the Export dialog:

456345913_Screenshot2020-10-06at10_50_33.png.1361a83f23676800c033e5f207d2ff72.png

But (just asking) PNG isn't really a print format - there's no option to include printer's marks. Is your printer happy to accept PNG, or would he/she prefer PDF? 

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

@h_dthanks. @Callum thanks too. I tried it again and it’s working now. The slice export wasn’t the right size yesterday. Weird but I’m so relieved it works. Phew that saves me a ton of work.

@h_d yes, I’m printing playing cards and they want png or jpg format. I think bigger manufacturers want pdf as you suggest. By the way, is there a way to set the color of the bleed area? Mine comes out white which isn’t what I want.

On 10/6/2020 at 5:21 PM, Merlin said:

@h_dthanks. @Callum thanks too. I tried it again and it’s working now. The slice export wasn’t the right size yesterday. Weird but I’m so relieved it works. Phew that saves me a ton of work.

@h_d yes, I’m printing playing cards and they want png or jpg format. I think bigger manufacturers want pdf as you suggest. By the way, is there a way to set the color of the bleed area? Mine comes out white which isn’t what I want.

Hello Marlin,

The Bleed Color cannot customize with the existing version (ver 1.8.5), however with upcoming version (says 1.9) if I’m not wrong the bleed & margin color can customized in upcoming version of the Publisher, I hope also in the Designer.

9 hours ago, HANDJOJO said:

Hello Marlin,

The Bleed Color cannot customize with the existing version (ver 1.8.5), however with upcoming version (says 1.9) if I’m not wrong the bleed & margin color can customized in upcoming version of the Publisher, I hope also in the Designer.

@HANDJOJO if that happens it will be a really neat, if not essential, feature. Thanks for letting me know. Do you know when 1.9 is scheduled for release? I agree it would be more valuable in Designer. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, HANDJOJO said:

Now being beta testing, I think soon will be release.

If you wish you can participate in Beta Tester for version 1.9, you can download via this forum.

However this beta version not recommended for common use as just for testing purpose, please read on Beta Topic.

45 minutes ago, HANDJOJO said:

this beta version not recommended for common use

Beta versions are not recommended for commercial use (i.e. projects that you are working on for one or more paying clients).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)