You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The screenshot attached shows the same RAW image imported to (from L to R) iPhoto, DxO Optics Pro and Affintiy Photo; how come they look so different? And which one is right?!

It's not the best example, but in general RAW images are looking much worse when imported into Affinity when compared to other applications- very noisy, or like they're being displayed at a low colour depth or something. Is there something I'm missing?

post-17374-0-77464200-1440440528_thumb.png

Different RAW developers will definitely produce different results. iPhoto and DxO Optics Pro are akin to using automatic transmission in a vehicle, as many enhancements are done for you to give a result that many find useful. Other RAW developers are akin to manual transmission in a vehicle, as you are in complete control and make all of the decisions to produce what you find pleasing. I find the Affinity Photo Develop Persona (the RAW editor) much like operating a vehicle with a manual transmission, as it brings the photo to the workspace in a rather neutral state and allows you, the artist, to develop the image to your taste. Affinity Photo is your digital darkroom where you are in control. This doesn't mean that iPhoto and DxO do not allow one to adjust the look of the image to one's taste, it is just that they start with settings that many people find pleasing. Some days I prefer automatic drive and other days I prefer manual drive. I find Affinity Photo a very useful addition to other RAW developers I use. Which developer I use depends on my task, time frame for the task, and mood I am in. However the RAW file is developed, the developed image may be processed within the Photo Persona to do other types of editing tasks. Take your time, view the many settings common to the developers you mentioned, and note how these settings are applied by default on the same RAW image, and you will discover why your developed images do not look the same. You will also discover that there are different algorithms for noise reduction and other tasks. Manual drive cars do not all behave in a single way, so different maths will produce different results in the images. This is not unlike the photographer of the past in the darkroom choosing the type of chemistry to use, the company that made the chemicals, the specific film type of that company, paper type,  temperature, concentration, exposure time, burning, dodging, and so much more. It was complex and modern digital methods in manual mode are no less complex! Complexity is what makes this truly fun, but there will be days that an iPhone camera and Photos app will be good enough to do the job. ;-) Above all, take your time, experiment, take notes, and have fun! Oh, and ask questions; lots and lots of questions.

Solly

JFSJ

Solly

JFSJ

N3MKH