You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Beta 1.9.0.742 Bug with linked images

Hi

When I link images from the beta they are showing up as TextEdit documents in Finder. If I link from the release version to the same folder they are fine. I have attached a file that shows these files and when one is selected you can see the image on the right but the description is TextEdit.

If I copy an image from the Beta to the Release the size is messed up. The image pastes in very reduced in size & pixellated. If I look at the clipboard it only shows the contents as text. Copying & Pasting from other apps is fine and the clipboard shows the contents correctly.

I am on a MacBook Pro running Mojave 10.14.6. I have tried with Metal on & off and tried a guest account the behaviour is consistent. 

Edit: This issue seems to only happen with images that were pasted into the Beta, if I place a file it is fine. Images pasted into the release are also fine

1445295365_Screenshotsshowinglinkingproblems.thumb.png.ebe8d14a75eccf105617cbff67e0306c.png

Edited by Murfee
Added Info

16 minutes ago, Pauls said:

what format should _1,_2 and _3 be?

Can you provide a sample zip of a publisher document and the associated images please

Hi Pauls, _1,_2 and _3 are just pasted screenshots, I closed the original file so will need to create a new one. I will embed the images for you.

Hi @Pauls, the zip is attached. There is a file created in the Beta, a file that has the items from the beta file copied & pasted into the release version...the image file sizes have been downsized between copying & pasting.

The linked files are also included, _1 & _2 are just screenshots pasted into the beta then linked, the stylised flower is an image placed from unsplash.

Clipboard 1,2 & 3 are the files copied from the Beta to the Release then linked (Reduced size all on their own 😀). There is also a screenshot of what I see in Finder.

I have also included a Pages file that shows the result from pasting a screenshot... a png file 

I use the built in screenshot utility in Mojave. I can paste fine in other apps. I have the same issue in Affinity with image files that are copied from the web.

I have been trying various things since I noticed this problem. Using a guest account had the same issues, also the same if Metal is on or off.

Linked_Files.zip

59 minutes ago, Pauls said:

what format should _1,_2 and _3 be?

Can you provide a sample zip of a publisher document and the associated images please

Capture a screenshot to clipboard with ctrl+shift+cmd+3.

Paste into a document that's open in Publisher 1.8.4. 
Resource Manager lists the embedded image file as image.tif even though it's a PNG file. 
Make Linked will export image.tif which is really a PNG file.

Paste into a document that's open in Publisher 1.9.0.742 
Resource Manager lists the embedded image file with no name and extension even though it's a PNG file. 
Make Linked will export _1 (no extension) which is really a PNG file.

Finder categorises any file with no extension as a TextEdit file.

Thanks @anon2.

Have you had any problems when copying image files from the Beta versions? If I copy from Beta to Release the image layer pastes in reduced by quite a lot, giving a very pixellated appearance. It is not just screenshots this is happening with. I recently noticed in the Release of Photo that anything copied to another app was coming in as a small pixellated PDF...even if it was originally a pixel layer, not sure if there is any connection as I haven't had much chance recently to be creative & use any of the apps much.

14 minutes ago, Pauls said:

I get both a tiff and PNG image type in the clipboard - so it look slike we prefer the tiff format.
The name generation looks wrong in the beta so I'll log that - Thanks @Anon

1.8.4 uses the PNG but wrongly gives it ".tif" extension.

1.9.0.742 also uses the PNG but gives it no name and extension.

I'm using macOS 10.13.6.

Edited by anon2
Added macOS version

2 minutes ago, Pauls said:

I get both a tiff and PNG image type in the clipboard

I am only getting text as the type when copying, my clipboard looks like the attached screenshot, blank copying from Publisher 1.8.4101654752_Screenshot2020-10-05at16_11_38.thumb.png.b93ba97f7c8f0171adb11f301d8ea13c.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

@Murfee Since your report via email & here on the Forums, I have been speaking with our development team regarding this - we haven't recently changed anything on our end regarding the clipboard, however we can see that the hierarchy order when copying objects from Affinity on Mac differs from the order on Windows, and this is likely why we're seeing different results between the two OS's.

For this reason, I'll be adding an improvement log to have the order of operations changed when copying on a Mac, so that image formats are preferred over PDF, where possible.

Hopefully this will help the issue being reported here - unfortunately I'm not able to reproduce any issues with copying from the beta to the retail version, so if you're still having an issue with this please provide more information for @Pauls to investigate further :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the latest update, I was wondering if there has been any progress with this issue. I am working on a personal project that has a lot of copied images & screenshots, the files are getting bit big and I am holding off on making them linked until this has been fixed. Again thanks for solving one of my headaches with the TOC deleting my anchors 😀

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.