You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Notes in Publisher Document

Hello,

Is there any feature, where I can write down some notes to my document?
These notes should not be shown somewhere in the printed document.
I want to note things like:
- special settings
- thoughts about the design
- design and layout instructions
- etc.

I thought of something like properties in a word document.

Maybe there is a place where I can do it but I couldn't find it ...
Thanks for your help.

Regards

S.

V2 Universal Licence
Mac mini (2018) | MacBook Air M1, 2020

Welcome to the forums. There is no note system like in ID, but perhaps you could "abuse" the "Preflight Comment" feature. Any element off the page will not be shown in a printed document anyway. So you can tag text frames images and so on with a "Preflight Comment" via Move tool and right-click. To keep a Preflight clean make one Preflight set with your comments (warning) and one Preflight Set for print production (ignoring the comments). And as long you do not click the Fix button in the Preflight panel, the Preflight Comments are preserved.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• 7 months later...

I have a similar question, and wonder if the situation has changed since the above answer about 5 months ago.

As I near the end of a big project, I want to save different versions of it for different purposes, for instance, a standard layout for a printer who will sew signatures of double page spreads for binding and a different layout with a wider inner margin for a printer who will print individual pages and glue them together when binding.

To avoid myself getting confused and sending the wrong file to the wrong printer, I am having to resort to longer and longer filenames that describe features of the file.

In Photoshop I can put such things in "Description" and view the comments in Bridge, without having to create unwieldy filenames, and without even having to open the file.

Is there somewhere in Affinity Publisher that I can do this?

Trevor

1 hour ago, Trevor A said:

I have a similar question, and wonder if the situation has changed since the above answer about 5 months ago.

As I near the end of a big project, I want to save different versions of it for different purposes, for instance, a standard layout for a printer who will sew signatures of double page spreads for binding and a different layout with a wider inner margin for a printer who will print individual pages and glue them together when binding.

To avoid myself getting confused and sending the wrong file to the wrong printer, I am having to resort to longer and longer filenames that describe features of the file.

In Photoshop I can put such things in "Description" and view the comments in Bridge, without having to create unwieldy filenames, and without even having to open the file.

Is there somewhere in Affinity Publisher that I can do this?

You can put them:

1. In the Comments field in the Fields panel.
  2. On an extra Master Page that you don't assign to any document pages
  3. On a Text Frame on the pasteboard, to the right or left of the first page in the file.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...
On 5/15/2021 at 7:33 PM, Trevor A said:

To avoid myself getting confused and sending the wrong file to the wrong printer,

On 5/15/2021 at 8:48 PM, walt.farrell said:

3. On a Text Frame on the pasteboard, to the right or left of the first page in the file.

In another layout app I often used text frames placed near the bleed area for comments to myself / to the printer. This way it is possible to make sure that comments which possibly are written in an email only would not get lost but always stay with the related document.

Unfortunately Affinity does not allow to use the slug area, respectively hides any content outside the bleed (marks excepted).

Even more odd, in the current APub a former option seems to be prevented (for no recognizable reason): While I was able two years ago to select such comments in the print marks area of a PDF at least though they had no colour / 'appeared' invisible, this option does not work anymore. 

v1105 comments & bleed & marks.pdf

Compare this thread / feature request about the use of a "slug area" – and add your vote if wanted:

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 2 months later...