You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pandagm game publisher wants me to use their joboptions file - AP

hi

Pandagm.com Publisher have asked me to export their "Panda_FOGRA 39_Export_Profile.joboptions" to InDesign. Is there way I can the same for Affinity Publisher?
I've attached the steps they gave for InDesign via website https://pandagm.com/tools. I don't know what/why this file is.
I'm using Windows OS.

Also, the process is very complicated unless you guys can recommend another publisher lol. I'm making a card game.

Panda_export_profile-Instructions-v1.pdf

See:

1. What is FOGRA39?
  2. What is a Joboptions file?
  3. Affinity Export with 'Coated FOGRA39' profile?

All in all it's just exporting your CMYK document to PDF by using the FOGRA 39 icc color profile.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

hi @v_kyr

The pandagm design document says "... use the color profile FOGRA 39 (ISO12647-2) to match our factory’s color calibration." Is that same as Coated FOGRA 39 (ISO12647-2:2004) in Affinity Photo? 

My project manager at pandagm has not been much help because perhaps she is very busy. 

1. Are these two FOGRA39s the same thing? (I think yes)

2. Would you know a course or workshop/resource I can look at to sort of help get my bearings? Thank you.

I really don't want go back to Adobe products and blindly follow directions, so just bought Affinity 😛

Thanks

Edited by aymanzone

hi @Lagarto

Thanks for reply but I'm confused on a few things

1) 

In your first screenshot, I'm assuming Page Width and Page Height will be different for me because I'm making poker sized cards? 

2)

Where did you get "Create Artboard" option in your first screenshot? I've never seen that before.

3)

In you second screenshot (which I'm assuming is from Affinity Publisher) how did you get the Preset field to be empty?

4)

I'm not sure what you mean by this?

1 hour ago, Lagarto said:

You should preferably assign all native objects CMYK color values, and place all your images using RGB color space.

I've converted RGB color space to CMYK FOAGRA39 color space in Affinity Photo.

In Affinity Photo I also made CMYK text = 0, 0, 0, 100. And made border of my poker size cards CMYK = 40, 0, 0, 100 (as per pandagm design document) and made sure to not use rich black i.e. CMYK (total) < 298%.

Thank you

For Q1. and Q2. Lagarto has used Affinity Designer to screenshot the New Document settings, in Affinity Publisher artboards aren’t an option for new documents and the size option is just the default for an A4 sheet so, yes, your size will be different. 

Affinity Publisher new document settings, the size in the page width & page height are for "poker size cards.”
Ignore the margins option I forgot to uncheck that.
image.png.ed1265d1bc1030144e46b0c73ae2a1d4.png

These are the Affinity Photo new document options, added for clarity
image.png.7b621e0b16ad1bd4bac4d397bd8fccd1.png

Just to clarify which app are you designing these cards in?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

hi @firstdefence

40 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Just to clarify which app are you designing these cards in?

1) I've designed and created these cards in Affinity Photo because they are raster images. File extensions  .afphoto. I have create a .afphoto file for each card. I have 60 cards. They are converted and properly done in CMYK FOGRA39.

2) I will then open these .afphoto files in Affinity publisher and print them as a .pdf. 

That's it.

From your question I feel I may be doing something wrong? I'm assuming I should avoid using .png because it's not good for CMYK (I think?). Therefore I'm assuming it's safer to just use .afphoto files.

No one told me, I just assume it's these two steps as correct.

Thanks

A bit history: I initially designed these in GIMP 2.10 in sRGB and finalized the prototype on TheGameCrafter.com. But recently I found out about CMYK. This was an amazing video about CMYK ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZc9TjRZjrA ) but I saw other videos as well. 

Edited by aymanzone

5 hours ago, aymanzone said:

2)

Where did you get "Create Artboard" option in your first screenshot? I've never seen that before.

4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Lagarto has used Affinity Designer to screenshot the New Document settings, in Affinity Publisher artboards aren’t an option for new documents

It must have been a screenshot from Publisher as it included the "Default Master" option.

But as you say, firstdefence, usually the "Create Artboard" option is not present in Publisher. However, it is present if you do the File > New operation from the Designer Persona in Publisher. That will give you both options ("Default Master" and "Create Artboard").

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Wow thank you to everyone! 

Thank you @Lagarto, @firstdefence, @walt.farrell and @v_kyr for taking the time. I don't know what I have would done without it.

@Lagarto, how were you able to translate the .joboptions file? It's 300+ lines of text. Thank you.

I think @Affinity Support  might want to translate .jopoptions files from common publishers like (Pandagm, etc) and maybe stick it somewhere on the site. I'm sure there are a lot of users who have had to go back to adobe just because of that - although I'm newbie so I might not know what I'm talking about. Perhaps maybe @Affinity Support can put up a page on how to read .jopoptions? I don't know. This sounds like a complicated thing. 

Cheers and Thanks. 

• Staff

aymanzone, 

@AffinitySupport is an empty place-holder account used for forum management (you will see it was last used in late August).

To all please do not tag it, as it is not monitored in any way, and makes no posts.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 hours ago, aymanzone said:

...might want to translate .jopoptions files from common publishers...

Those are just Adobe related Options-settings files (/KEY value), you can also open them with any text editor and inspect their contents and the made settings inside there. From the Adobe options key names there it's mostly obvious what these options stand for and the values indicate the made settings (numeric values, or booleans ... aka if something is set/unset etc.) and what profiles are associated for the PDF export process that joboption file handles.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Hi, @aymanzone There is a feedback section for each app and affinity in general here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/52-feature-requests-feedback/ you can post a feature request there. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff
9 hours ago, aymanzone said:

which support tag do you recommend?

None, these are support forums, we already reply where necessary and the work is spread across a team. That's why nobody else is tagging, it's not necessary or helpful

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon