You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Windows Customer Beta - 1.9.0.780

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: Features, Improvements, Fixes
Requirements: A valid product key (for Affinity Store purchases), or an installation of the full retail version from the Microsoft Store

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post a new thread in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback. 

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Fixes

• Added Studio Presets
  • Fixed Contour and Corner tool radius context toolbar options showing in pixels
  • Fixed filter effects rendering
  • Added ability to rotate view around mouse with Alt+MouseWheel. Shift+Alt+MouseWheel will rotate around the centre. Holding Ctrl at the same time will increase rotation speed. Added Ctrl+Shift+Alt+R as new default shortcut for resetting the view rotation. 

1.9.0.767 release notes

22 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Added Ctrl+Shift+Alt+R as new default shortcut for resetting the view rotation. 

Thank you for an unexpected new beta on a sunday 🙂

The new mouse wheel rotation is great.

Unfortunately the 'CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+R' didn't make it into AD. It works in APh, though.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

8 minutes ago, dominik said:

Thank you for an unexpected new beta on a sunday 🙂

The new mouse wheel rotation is great.

Unfortunately the 'CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+R' didn't make it into AD. It works in APh, though.

d.

It is in there.

image.png

I wonder if you have any customisations it may be preventing the new default from appearing. We should look into that as a separate issue. Can you look in your Preferences | Shortcuts, then Designer | View, and Reset those shortcuts (be aware this will erase and reset any existing shortcuts, you may want to copy your beta folder in %APPDATA% first).

Updates on Sunday... this is what happens when you work from home.... usually twice as much. Thanks for your work !

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

5 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

It is in there.

image.png

I wonder if you have any customisations it may be preventing the new default from appearing. We should look into that as a separate issue. Can you look in your Preferences | Shortcuts, then Designer | View, and Reset those shortcuts (be aware this will erase and reset any existing shortcuts, you may want to copy your beta folder in %APPDATA% first).

Thanks for showing this.

Before I posted my first post above I looked in the menu location and in the keyboard shortcuts and it the keyboard combination was not there. Actually I first found out about the missing shortcut because it didn't work 🙂 Then I looked for it in the settings.

Just now I reset the shortcuts and it shows up. It must have been a hiccup...

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

2 minutes ago, dominik said:

Thanks for showing this.

Before I posted my first post above I looked in the menu location and in the keyboard shortcuts and it the keyboard combination was not there. Actually I first found out about the missing shortcut because it didn't work 🙂 Then I looked for it in the settings.

Just now I reset the shortcuts and it shows up. It must have been a hiccup...

d.

Thanks - sounds like a bug then, you probably had some keyboard shortcut modifications stored, so didn't load in the new default. We'll look at that.

I love this mouse rotation... now just need to find a way to do the same with my Wacom pen.... some day.... when you'll have nothing to do....

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

Speaking of ctrl+alt+shift+R, I had the same problem of the shortcut not existing since I had my own custom shortcuts, but I was able to add it manually. However, I noticed as well that the shortcut didn't work in other Personas like the Liquify Persona unless you added it manually there as well or used the Apply to All feature. Just something to bear in mind if someone needs to add it manually like I did. Pretty cool that these new rotation shortcuts work elsewhere besides the main Persona. Pretty sure that functionality doesn't exist in Photoshop. :)

The new canvas rotation shortcuts as I mentioned in the Photo Beta thread work well and behave as they should. However, since my mouse scroll wheel is half-broken it makes rotating the canvas a bit wonky when scrolling, but that is a problem with my hardware rather than the software. As I also said in that other thread, I would love to have these rotation shortcuts directly available for my Wacom tablet, especially since I don't have a tablet that allows scrolling up or down since all the built in buttons on the screen are just that, buttons.

Either way, if you decide to add a tablet friendlier version of these shortcuts, there is no need to remove what you have already added. When working with a mouse it is very convenient to rotate with the scroll wheel (as long as your hardware hasn't broken down like mine, hehe). 

14 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

On the screen, yes, we've always supported that. If you're talking about the Trackpad, then no.

You have? Are you talking about just the beta then? On the stable version (1.8.5.703) try as I might I can't get the canvas to rotate with the two finger gesture.

I haven't tried the beta yet, I normally only test these if there's a feature I'm really interested in testing first hand.

Thanks!

On 10/4/2020 at 3:33 PM, Mark Ingram said:

Added Studio Presets

Any plans to make these presets "exportable" for loading later on just like we do with Shortcuts? Very sweet addition but would love to know if such an option will be made available.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit -  Core i7 7700 - GTX 1060 - MSI Z170A GAMING M3 - 32GB DDR4 - Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB

10 minutes ago, DesignCoyote1 said:

Any plans to make these presets "exportable" for loading later on just like we do with Shortcuts? Very sweet addition but would love to know if such an option will be made available.

Maybe. Currently they can be manually copied from the relevant folders under %APPDATA%, but we may add a more user friendly version at some point.

On 10/4/2020 at 8:33 AM, Mark Ingram said:

Added ability to rotate view around mouse with Alt+MouseWheel. Shift+Alt+MouseWheel will rotate around the centre. Holding Ctrl at the same time will increase rotation speed. Added Ctrl+Shift+Alt+R as new default shortcut for resetting the view rotation. 

I added some shortcuts to rotate and restablish the position, Krita-kinda style:

• Ctrl + 4: Rotate left
  • Ctrl + 5: Reset rotation
  • Ctrl + 6: Rotate right

But this might work for certain scenarios. Thanks. :)

Best regards!

5 hours ago, Mithferion said:

I added some shortcuts to rotate and restablish the position, Krita-kinda style:

• Ctrl + 4: Rotate left
  • Ctrl + 5: Reset rotation
  • Ctrl + 6: Rotate right

But this might work for certain scenarios. Thanks. :)

Just to be clear, are you asking for those to be added as standard shortcuts?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Just to be clear, are you asking for those to be added as standard shortcuts?

No, no; just saying how I have them right now to rotate the canvas.

Best regards!

15 minutes ago, Mithferion said:

No, no; just saying how I have them right now to rotate the canvas.

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, that works, but I think the new shortcuts offer continuous rotation, not rotation in 15-degree increments as your shortcuts (and the standard View menu) provides. I haven't had time to try them yet on a system with a mousewheel, to be sure, though :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, that works, but I think the new shortcuts offer continuous rotation, not rotation in 15-degree increments as your shortcuts (and the standard View menu) provides. I haven't had time to try them yet on a system with a mousewheel, to be sure, though :)

I'm happy having both. :)

Best regards!

On 10/4/2020 at 9:33 AM, Mark Ingram said:
  • Added ability to rotate view around mouse with Alt+MouseWheel. Shift+Alt+MouseWheel will rotate around the centre. Holding Ctrl at the same time will increase rotation speed. Added Ctrl+Shift+Alt+R as new default shortcut for resetting the view rotation. 

What's exactly is this new "rotate view around mouse"? can somebody bring some screen shots? its sound like a exiting feature...

(I'm a big fan of Affinity, unfortunately i don't own it yet, since I'm waiting for RTL support)

How will you show a movement in a screenshot? It is all said in the description: Hold the Alt key, same time use the mouse wheel and the view of the canvas will rotate. Please note that the view rotates, not the document itself, meaning you cannot turn this e.g. from portrait to landscape.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed