You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Windows Customer Beta - 1.9.0.780

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: New features, performance, fixes
Requirements: A valid product key (for Affinity Store purchases), or an installation of the full retail version from the Microsoft Store

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post a new thread in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback. 

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Fixes

• Improved Studio Presets
  • Improved hardware acceleration
  • Fixed hardware acceleration to fall back to software rendering more reliably under NVIDIA GPUs
  • Fixed filter effects rendering
  • Added ability to rotate view around mouse with Alt+MouseWheel. Shift+Alt+MouseWheel will rotate around the centre. Holding Ctrl at the same time will increase rotation speed. Added Ctrl+Shift+Alt+R as new default shortcut for resetting the view rotation. 

1.9.0.767 release notes

Hardware Acceleration still crashes  with NVIDIA GPU (GTX1050) Unhandled exception at 0x00007FFBAA6653F8 (nvwgf2umx.dll) at 0xC00000FD: Stack overflow (parameters: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000006008229000).

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

12 minutes ago, AiDon said:

Hardware Acceleration still crashes  with NVIDIA GPU (GTX1050) Unhandled exception at 0x00007FFBAA6653F8 (nvwgf2umx.dll) at 0xC00000FD: Stack overflow (parameters: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000006008229000).

(Original link for ref: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/124272-opencl-v190734/)

That's interesting, as your hardware is exactly the same as mine. Are they the latest drivers?

Works very well here so far with Hardware Acceleration on. And it really makes a difference. nVidia drivers: 456.55 (latest).

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

21 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

(Original link for ref: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/124272-opencl-v190734/)

That's interesting, as your hardware is exactly the same as mine. Are they the latest drivers?

Hi Mark, Yes they are with the NVIDIA v456.55 and the INTEL HD630 v27.20.100.8783 ... I wonder if it is an issue with both GPUs being listed (used) as being enabled for OpenCL compute acceleration. Other apps that use Open CL tend to use the one GPU for acceleration because OpenCL is different versions on the HD630 and the GTX1050.

image.png.7fd63278e4479d49bc0d3476f40b2e10.png

PC2 HP Pavilion - 

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

Just now, AiDon said:

Hi Mark, Yes they are with the NVIDIA v456.55 and the INTEL HD630 v27.20.100.8783 ... I wonder if it is an issue with both GPUs being listed (used) as being enabled for OpenCL compute acceleration. Other apps that use Open CL tend to use the one GPU for acceleration because OpenCL is different versions on the HD630 and the GTX1050.

image.png.7fd63278e4479d49bc0d3476f40b2e10.png

Ah I thought I had the same setup, Intel 630 + GTX 1050, but I actually have the GTX 1650. 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/124022-benchmark-1900-results/&do=findComment&comment=681713

3 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Ah I thought I had the same setup, Intel 630 + GTX 1050, but I actually have the GTX 1650. 

Hi Mark, On my PC the Intel HD630 drives the internal monitor and the NVIDIA GTX1050 drives the external monitor. The crashing occurs on the external monitor with the preferences listed above but if I move AP back onto the internal monitor and set the following Preferences it does not crash ... bit of a quandary though as the external is 24" and the internal is 15" :(

image.png.476699e1805169b106172d0e0e421213.png

So I don't know if it is because of the Drivers or the fact that OpenCl v2.1 NEO is used by the HD 630 and OpenCL v1.2 CUDA by the GTX1050.

PC2 HP Pavilion - 

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

Question. Are the rotation tools supposed to make the image grainy? Tried using it on a file and all the clean silhouettes became very grainy with very strange anti-aliasing. The problem became increasingly worse the further out you zoomed.

Also, would it be possible to create a more tablet friendly version of these shortcuts as well? Sadly I can't scroll with my tablet pen nor do so with the buttons I have available. Same could be said about wanting to zoom with ctrl+scroll wheel. I only have access to Mid click and the modifiers. I know a lot of artists that would love to have direct access to these new rotation tools. Would you consider adding the ability to scroll up and down with mid click by dragging up and down on the canvas when using modifiers as to not interfere with Mid click to pan? Thanks! :)

It works very well on my System with a GeForce GTX 1060 with Studio driver and Hardware Acceleration on. The development time of develop persona was shortened again and i belive the starts up faster.
Well done guys.

449140808_ScreenShot.JPG.543eeddee729bc516765fa78d3622104.JPG

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

As for the GPU acceleration improvements, I noticed that the bug I reported some days ago seems to have disappeared, which is really reassuring. The Brushes panel had a bunch of visual bugs regarding round brushes and using them were very buggy. Both of those issues have been fixed as well. Drawing and painting for the most part are feeling smoother and smoother for each Beta version. Large brushes work exceptionally well and are significantly faster and more responsive than in 1.8.5. 

However, I have been trying to push the Beta to its absolute limit to find potential issues and I happened to find three still which are all related to brush stroke speed.

1) The faster you draw with your brush, the more you will begin noticing start-up lag for every stroke. This does disappear if you keep pressuring the pen and all brush strokes become super responsive, but it is still a noticeable problem since fast strokes are quite common. The problem affects both larger and smaller brushes on large canvases.

2) At some point the program UI stops responding for a while after I had painted tons of lines in a very short time span. The brushes don't have to be large to notice the slowdown on larger canvases.

3) When I used one of my round brushes with pen pressure settings, the History panel started combining brush strokes as if they counted as one action on the timeline when drawing super fast. The video shown below shows just a brief taste of the problem in action, but I was at one point able to combine several brush strokes as one single history state, which is quite unusual since I have never seen this happen before in older versions of Affinity.

It has fixed one of my screen rendering problems, but I am unable to open more than 1 image. And my benchmarks (which were not good before) are now worse.

And once, trying to open a second image, it locked up the system solidly enough that I had to power off and restart Windows.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

2 hours ago, AiDon said:

On my PC the Intel HD630 drives the internal monitor and the NVIDIA GTX1050 drives the external monitor.

@AiDon

Your Computer is obviously a Notebook ("internal Monitor").
Did you try to disable the Intel-GPU (Device-Manager?) since the Nvidia-Unit should be powerful enough to drive both screens ;  but I have no idea if the Hardware-Design allows this.

4 hours ago, AiDon said:

So I don't know if it is because of the Drivers or the fact that OpenCl v2.1 NEO is used by the HD 630 and OpenCL v1.2 CUDA by the GTX1050.

We don't use OpenCL 2.x, so it won't be related to that. More than likely to do with the monitor configuration. We'll have to try to reproduce that here.

8 hours ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

Are the rotation tools supposed to make the image grainy?

I imagine it should look the same as it would in the retail version if you used View > Rotate Left (or Right). So, you might compare what you see with that image in 1.8.5.

Also, you might try it with OpenCL disabled, in case there's some interaction there.

Finally, in Preferences, Performance, what setting do you have for View Quality?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

On 10/4/2020 at 6:38 PM, Frozen Death Knight said:

As for the GPU acceleration improvements, I noticed that the bug I reported some days ago seems to have disappeared, which is really reassuring. The Brushes panel had a bunch of visual bugs regarding round brushes and using them were very buggy. Both of those issues have been fixed as well. Drawing and painting for the most part are feeling smoother and smoother for each Beta version. Large brushes work exceptionally well and are significantly faster and more responsive than in 1.8.5. 

However, I have been trying to push the Beta to its absolute limit to find potential issues and I happened to find three still which are all related to brush stroke speed.

1) The faster you draw with your brush, the more you will begin noticing start-up lag for every stroke. This does disappear if you keep pressuring the pen and all brush strokes become super responsive, but it is still a noticeable problem since fast strokes are quite common. The problem affects both larger and smaller brushes on large canvases.

2) At some point the program UI stops responding for a while after I had painted tons of lines in a very short time span. The brushes don't have to be large to notice the slowdown on larger canvases.

3) When I used one of my round brushes with pen pressure settings, the History panel started combining brush strokes as if they counted as one action on the timeline when drawing super fast. The video shown below shows just a brief taste of the problem in action, but I was at one point able to combine several brush strokes as one single history state, which is quite unusual since I have never seen this happen before in older versions of Affinity.

The same problem. Steps and other artifacts appear.

Windows 11 64-bit,

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 + Nvidia 1660 Super + Nvidia Studio driver + 32 Gb RAM.

Apologies if I overlooked the lists of approved hardware for OpenCL. If not already, will you please provide some sort of a list or prelist with preliminary testing of GPUs? I currently have AMD Radeon RX 460 (current up-to-date WHQL certified) and it suits my needs and I don't plan to upgrading to another GPU. Additionally, I'm currently a Publisher user and like the software. I have been curious about the hardware acceleration in a forthcoming version of Photo.

2 hours ago, Ronald N. Tan said:

Apologies if I overlooked the lists of approved hardware for OpenCL. If not already, will you please provide some sort of a list or prelist with preliminary testing of GPUs? I currently have AMD Radeon RX 460 (current up-to-date WHQL certified) and it suits my needs and I don't plan to upgrading to another GPU. Additionally, I'm currently a Publisher user and like the software. I have been curious about the hardware acceleration in a forthcoming version of Photo.

You have to check if your card is supporting it. In fact I just checked and Radeon RX 460 is supporting OpenCL® 2.0 . You can see for yourself here:
https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/radeon-rx-460
 Scroll down to see FEATURES, it is listed as one of the Supported Technologies. So you should be alright.

Hi folks - well done! Great set of improvements.

An odd thing happened: Marquee lines were thicker and Ctrl-0 didn't fully restore full size. Later, it worked just fine (without restarting). Shrug.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

Curves x and y point values are much appreciated. Thanks.

A query: The y-value origin seems to be top left, so increasing y goes downwards. Not the normal mathematical x and y. I wondered why it is done this way. Is this how PS does it?

Dave Straker

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

3 hours ago, dmstraker said:

A query: The y-value origin seems to be top left, so increasing y goes downwards. Not the normal mathematical x and y. I wondered why it is done this way. Is this how PS does it?

This is how it works in Adobe Photoshop @dmstraker No traces of graph paper and engineers. The x and y values in this beta with three decimals ... no thank you. That is the Rawtherapee UI mistake.

I often adjust the integer values when adjusting LAB curves in Photoshop, easy to remember and enter - even easier than copy pasting.

curves_ps.gif.e3e85948d1fe9859d28526f398c34b81.gif

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

3 hours ago, dmstraker said:

Thanks for mentioning that enhancement. Was that in the Release Notes somewhere? I don't see it.

How would one use the new information?

(And, though it's not the normal mathematical x and y directions, it matches the Affinity Ruler orientation :) (And perhaps it matches the rotation angles in the Transform panel?))

-- Walt
PC:

I think he is right as the bottom left corner which is input, in the AP case, should be (min, min) (0,0) and the top right which is output (max, max) (1,1) rather than bottom right (1,1) as it is showing (1,0) for the top right which would intimate 1 for input and 0 for output.

Maybe don't use X & Y but Input & Output instead.

PC2 HP Pavilion - 

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks for mentioning that enhancement. Was that in the Release Notes somewhere? I don't see it.

How would one use the new information?

(And, though it's not the normal mathematical x and y directions, it matches the Affinity Ruler orientation :) (And perhaps it matches the rotation angles in the Transform panel?))

For my YouTube InAffinity channel, it's more accurate to say 'enter x and y' than 'move shadows up a bit' (though the latter is also appropriate when communicating this intent). Also useful when I'm making personal notes about 'recipes'.

I didn't see it in the release notes. I just noticed it, perhaps because it was already on my wish list.

Good point about the ruler.

Dave Straker