You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color matching, printing on a non pro photo printer

Hello,

I am an amateur with the following configuration: MacOS 10.14.6 Mojave, Affinity 1.8.4, Canon PIXMA TS6150.

I shoot both digital and film, and the problem I describe here is the same in both case (scanned negative with VueScan or digital RAW files from my Fuji X-series camera)

I do not intend to invest in a 1000 € printer, and my choice of the Pixma TS6150 is because of a good reputation in producing almost professional grade photo prints up to A4. And I have to say that when a print is good... it is good.

The problem is that I don't manage to get a correct workflow for printing, and I am lost when I try to understand the discussions on these issues that I can find here or elsewhere. I know there is no ICC profile for my printer ;-(.

One typical example is that the print are clearly blueish compared to the results that I get both on my MacBook screen (properly calibrated according to Apple) and my ViewSonic screen (properly calibrated according to ViewSonic). The results on both screens are consistants, but the output on the printer is ... a disaster !

Attached files gives a good idea of the problem, best illustrated in B&W: the "capture d'écran" is a good idea of what I get in AP, the B&WPrint is a scan giving a good idea of the printed output...

Can anyone drive me through any kind of solution (outside of buying a pro-printer that I cannot afford)

Thanks in advance

Capture d’écran 2020-10-04 à 12.38.28.png

B&WPrint.jpeg

• Staff

Hi @Foucart,

Printing issue are always tricky especially when we don't have access to the same printer.  But some users say to convert to Greyscale and also enable greyscale when printing. Some say to leave in RGB  instead but counter the blue with a warmer tone.  While you may not have an ICC profile for your Printer, you may have one for the paper you are printing on, which would allow you to use the Soft Proof adjustment layer to see the results you should get from printing.

On 10/5/2020 at 4:39 PM, stokerg said:

Hi @Foucart,

Printing issue are always tricky especially when we don't have access to the same printer.  But some users say to convert to Greyscale and also enable greyscale when printing. Some say to leave in RGB  instead but counter the blue with a warmer tone.  While you may not have an ICC profile for your Printer, you may have one for the paper you are printing on, which would allow you to use the Soft Proof adjustment layer to see the results you should get from printing.

Thank you so much. I will try to find out that profile...

I am having a nightmare time with the same problem as described above.   I have an Epson Expression XP960 (6 inks) which is no slouch!

I always printed from Lightroom with no issues but the Affinity printer interface is poor in comparison.  I set up the print dialogue, use the icc appropriate to the paper, do a softproof on the image and there is a blue colour cast on B&W images.  I have tried the following:

Export to a TIFF file, re-import and print the TIFF

Change the driver from paper icc to 'Use printer settings'

Export TIFF and print from Lightroom

All with the same result.  I always now use view-before-print option and this helps me avoid gross problems (heavy green cast) but the subtle blue tinge is not picked up. I have tried asking knowledgeable folk at my club but they have no solution. 

By the by.   Why in the Affinity print interface does it allow you to store presets but the next time you use it, all the printer settings are back at the default??   In Lr, once you store a preset it remembers how the printer was set up. Very frustrating and the Achilles heel of a brilliant piece of software. Any updates planned??