You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

size of placed image behaves unexpected in designer

placed image into designer 1.8.5.703 on windows, modified size (shrinked), changed to curves, another object (like by cloud tool) in front layer, both selected and added: change of picture changes!! This behavior also appears with all other combining methods and even when creating compounds. There are also artefacts in the picture placed.

example1.afdesign example2.afdesign

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

I'm not sure why it's doing that (and it does it for me, too, with your files). But I'm curious why you're converting the (Image) layer into a (Curve) layer; what do you want to accomplish?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Walt,

thanks for quick reply! I want to combine text and image and believe it is easier to manage it using intersection feature or compound feature versus rendered mask or curve mask. To use intersection or compound feature, you have to convert the image into curves.

In my added file you find the 4 different solutions in seperate layers, where version 3 & 4 fail as described due to bad scaled (curved) image.

The workflow as version 3 & 4 works perfect using a shape transformed into curves instead of an (curved) image), so I guess, it is a malfuction related to curved images.

example3.afdesign

Thanks.

I'm still a bit confused. I presume you want it to look like 1 or 2? Because 3 and 4 look fine to me, except that the text is filled rather than hollow. (And the image is not a curve in any of them.)

I am still not convinced that an image converted to a curve should act as you want it to, but I will leave that for others to comment on :)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

@thorworks That incorrect transformation of the "bitmap fill" is an old bug. (Don't hold your breath waiting for bug fixes in Affinity apps.)

The attached file is a simpler way to get the effect that you want. It features only your white Curves object with outer shadow on top of the Image object. The trick is to set Fill Opacity of the Curves object to zero in the Layer Effects controls. Alternatively, the white Curves object with outer shadow and 100% Fill Opacity could be given Multiply blend mode instead of reducing its Fill Opacity to zero.

simpler solution.afdesign

33 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Because 3 and 4 look fine to me, except that the text is filled rather than hollow.

yes it's filled but filled with the image scaled wrongly. I want to achieve the hollow effect.

@anon2: thanks for alternative. This works fine and really quite simple.

Well, thanks guys for your valuable inputs. Do I need to do something to close this topic???

2 minutes ago, thorworks said:

Do I need to do something to close this topic???

No.

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 weeks later...