You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have two spreads. One has white text inside a text frame and the other has black text inside a text frame. The text is set to flow from one box to another. 

I select the text frame and set the font to my body white font and body black font (respectively) but whenever I delete something or move something and the text moves from the black frame to the white frame it keeps its colour thus I have black text in the place I want white text. Does this make sense? 

1 hour ago, h_d said:

The only way I can see is to set the blend mode of the "white text" frame to Erase.

That's a clever approach I wouldn't have thought of. However, in case it's important to James, use of Erase blend mode on text will cause rasterization in an exported PDF, and the text will no longer be selectable or editable in the output file.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

That's a clever approach I wouldn't have thought of. However, in case it's important to James, use of Erase blend mode on text will cause rasterization in an exported PDF, and the text will no longer be selectable or editable in the output file.

That is SUPER clever. I don't think I mind a rasterised pdf but I would mind if it ended up looking different to the other text in the book I'm making (uploading to blurb).

BUT I would have thought that editing the text frame text *should* make all the text inside of it one colour no matter whether the text is added now or later. Do you see what I mean? 

Does this sound like a bug? Or just something overlooked?

12 minutes ago, james948 said:

I would have thought that editing the text frame text *should* make all the text inside of it one colour no matter whether the text is added now or later. Do you see what I mean? 

Does this sound like a bug? Or just something overlooked?

I don't think there's a bug; just lack of a feature that would have been useful to you. You could post a request for a text frame object to have optionally enabled text fill colour and text stroke colour properties that override the colours of the text contained in the frame.

40 minutes ago, james948 said:

Does this sound like a bug?

No. The text color (fill) is an attribute of the text, not of the text frame.

12 minutes ago, anon2 said:

You could post a request for a text frame object to have optionally enabled text fill colour and text stroke colour properties that override the colours of the text contained in the frame.

Override? Or provide a default?

If I had a frame with white text, and another with black text, but I made one word in the black text red, I would expect that word to keep its color if it flowed into the white frame. The frame should not override the color, in my opinion, just provide a default.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

49 minutes ago, james948 said:

I would mind if it ended up looking different to the other text in the book

It will at very high magnifications. This is a screen grab of an exported pdf with 12pt text, blown up dramatically. Left is rasterised, right isn't:

679473180_Screenshot2020-10-04at13_40_28.thumb.png.8db2165d33448eb8b81a5ab7627d0eee.png

Not sure if that's an issue for Blurb.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

13 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Override? Or provide a default?

If I had a frame with white text, and another with black text, but I made one word in the black text red, I would expect that word to keep its color if it flowed into the white frame. The frame should not override the color, in my opinion, just provide a default.

I said optionally enabled override. Optional. Optional!

You could post a request for your default thing if that would be useful to you.

7 hours ago, james948 said:

but whenever I delete something or move something and the text moves from the black frame to the white frame it keeps its colour thus I have black text in the place I want white text.

I understand that this "color flow" might disturb while working – but I guess that the text will have been finally edited before export / print, which would make this initial workflow of a different text color applied to the selected frame result more useful because it avoids text rasterization + quality loss in the output.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

54 minutes ago, anon2 said:

I said optionally enabled override. Optional. Optional!

You could post a request for your default thing if that would be useful to you.

I could, yes. But your use of "optional" was in my opinion ambiguous.

Specifically, it would be useful if the Text Frame studio panel could specify a default text fill and stroke and font and font size (and perhaps Paragraph Text Style) for any text in the frame that does not have an overriding style applied. The specification in the Text Frame panel should be optional, but the way it works should be as a default for the text, not as an override to any properties specifically applied to the text in the frame.

-- Walt
PC:

30 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Specifically, it would be useful if the Text Frame studio panel could specify a default text fill and stroke and font and font size (and perhaps Paragraph Text Style) for any text in the frame that does not have an overriding style applied. The specification in the Text Frame panel should be optional, but the way it works should be as a default for the text, not as an override to any properties specifically applied to the text in the frame.

I'm reading your suggestion as a default text appearance for a text frame that would only ever be applied to text with No Style. That's not going to help the OP's situation where text with a style is flowing through text frames and its colour needs to differ from one frame to the next.

Just now, anon2 said:

That's not going to help the OP's situation where text with a style is flowing through text frames and its colour needs to differ from one frame to the next.

That's a good point, but it in part depends on how the text styles are defined, I think. If, for example, a text style specifies Arial font but does not specify a font fill color (i.e., uses "don't change") then the default fill color from the text frame should apply when that text flows into the frame.

-- Walt
PC:

Just now, walt.farrell said:

That's a good point, but it in part depends on how the text styles are defined, I think. If, for example, a text style specifies Arial font but does not specify a font fill color (i.e., uses "don't change") then the default fill color from the text frame should apply when that text flows into the frame.

If that would be useful to you, best thing to do is post a feature request and hope it gets implemented.

44 minutes ago, anon2 said:

If that would be useful to you, best thing to do is post a feature request and hope it gets implemented.

Yep. I'll ask. 

I mean, it's like CSS isn't it. It's cascading styles. So if you applied one word as "red" you could expect it to remain red because that would override the text frame fill.