You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Here's a recent illustration I created for Serif's 100 Days, 100 Commissions project series aimed at supporting the global creative community during the early stages of the Covid 19 pandemic. My entry was this fun isometric depiction of George and the Dragon from the famous legend of Saint George slaying the dragon and rescuing the Princess that goes back centuries.

My inspiration for this piece was the pub sign at the famous George Inn of Southwark, London, which I believe is based on an earlier 1504 painting by Raphael. Great pub by the way with tons of interesting history.

The goal I had in mind was to really exploit the isometric grid exclusively to create the shapes and bring out the central circular composition. I did all or most of the shading using the pixel persona and tried to keep the colour palette fairly limited and bright.

The closeup on the armour showcases I think where the pixel painting approach works best as opposed to trying to create all of that in vector. Using the pixel persona to paint this with detailing vector lines was a quick and enjoyable experience.

Hope you like. Thanks again to Serif for the opportunity to bring this to life. You guys and gals rock! ;-) 

Kevin_Creative_George_and_the_Dragon01.png

Kevin Creative George and the Dragon03.png

Kevin_Creative_George_and_the_Dragon04.png

Kevin_Creative_George_and_the_Dragon06.png