You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color Differences between Affinity and Canon DPP

I'm new to Affinity and have been modifying photos in Affinity for just a few weeks.  I use a Canon camera.  I've downloaded the photos to my computer and starting last night, the photo colors between Affinity and the Canon Digital Photo Professional are very different.  They've been exactly the same prior to last night.  Example Green on Canon DPP is Blue on Affinity.  Not sure what I've done, but how can get these to show the same color?  Thank you.

Affinity and DPP  color difference.jpg

Hi PatML,
Welcome to the Affinity Forums!

If the colors matched exactly prior to last night I wonder if there was currently an adjustment active during your screenshot of the AP develop mode.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I went back to previous dates and now Affinity is not loading them correctly either.  It works fine on JPEG files but anything in CR3 has a very dark shadow along with a cropping line or certain section of the photos are posterized.  I must have changed some setting on Affinity and I can't figure out what it is.  Is was working well until Oct 2.  I had to go back to using Canon's DPP to work on my Raw photos.  I thought I had changed something on my camera, but since it is also not working on prior photos (which worked fine previously), I decided that must not be the case.  I am using a Canon R6 and loading photos on my computer using Canon's DPP.  Photos look great on DPP but when I open them using Affinity, the colors are horrible.  I sent a response several days ago, but have not seen it posted.  How can I reset Affinity?  I have uninstalled and reinstalled and still get the same issue.  I am including the CR3 file for the photo I originally showed above.  Thank you.

Two_Bees_One_with_Pollen_One_flying_10032020.CR3

I am seeing some very odd White Balance information the Metadata tab says the white balance is Auto but this looks extreme to me.

338163686_ScreenShot2020-10-10at2_06_22PM.png.9e4a1198230c66849fb7d592d81fb2cc.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I am clueless.  I took the photo, loaded it on my computer using Canon's Digital Photo Professional (the photo showing the green background), opened the same file using Affinity and got the blue background.  It's like Canon's DPP and Affinity are just picking up different colors.  Here's an example of what happened today.  I am attaching the photo file and also a JPEG of the difference between Affinity and DPP.  DPP had the correct colors, Affinity.... well you can see the difference....

Spider Affinity vs DPP 10102020.jpg

_A7A3143.CR3

> the Metadata tab says the white balance is Auto

I get the same White Balance setting in AP like Bruce.
Here DPP says in its metadata "Auto, Ambience priority" while AP says "5200". – If I set this 5200 and the tint to 0% then the image appears like in DPP to me:

759098838_whitebalanceissue2.jpg.ea9dcf2731cb7e5b767daf67c3434e50.jpg

This doesn't work for the spider image, I am not able to achieve right colors, not even roughly.

I don't use AP for Developing so I wonder whether AP's metadata info "Color Space: Uncalibrated" would be relevant?

Maybe the type of image data is a reason: According to the metadata both images seem to be no real RAW files but rather use it as container for JPG compressed data. This might be caused by using a camera setting like s-RAW or m-Raw for instance. It seems that m-RAW caused the color issue of this topic:

As a workaround you could try to convert this CR3 files via the free Adobe Raw Converter to DNG files which might work in AP without the issue.

49 minutes ago, PatML said:

I am clueless. 

Well an EOS R6, which is still relative new, isn't yet actually/officially supported from the libraw RAW lib used by Affinity!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

On 10/4/2020 at 12:29 AM, PatML said:

They've been exactly the same prior to last night.

Do I understand correct that the images appeared in AP an DPP with the same look 'last night'?
If yes, were they the identical files, or just same motives/light – but different documents, possibly different file formats?

2 hours ago, PatML said:

It works fine on JPEG files

Because they've been converted in-camera, and because Canon have updated DPP to support your spanking new camera when you view its .CR3's. Neither libraw nor Apple's Core Image, which Serif/Affinity use as raw engines, support your camera or its raw format yet.

Such is the fate of those who ride the bleeding edge...

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Further to what h_d has said regarding DPP and the newness of the camera I came across a couple of things on the web after a cursory search one is that there is a Firmware update from Canon posted last month (doubt that is the issue here) and another item mentioned two sizes of RAW files being produced. I think the problem may be the smaller compact RAW file. Check which format the files are and try doing some tests with the larger size.

Both your files opened fine here on Mac OS 10.14.6 using the Cannon software but I get the weird white balance thing happening in both the retail and beta of Photo. Also Quicklook on the Mac doesn't generate a preview.

1 hour ago, PatML said:

I am clueless.  I took the photo, loaded it on my computer using Canon's Digital Photo Professional (the photo showing the green background), opened the same file using Affinity and got the blue background.  It's like Canon's DPP and Affinity are just picking up different colors.  Here's an example of what happened today.  I am attaching the photo file and also a JPEG of the difference between Affinity and DPP.  DPP had the correct colors, Affinity.... well you can see the difference....

All in all I have to say that your best bet is to use the DPP software and produce TIFFs for further work in Affinity Photo. At least until the format is supported by Apple and Affinity.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

First of all, thank you to everyone who has responded.  Yep, it is a new bleeding edge camera (surprise birthday gift from my husband and I am not a professional photographer - I just like taking wildlife photos) I did not want to get Photoshop and I thought Affinity could handle it especially when it was working well when I started using in mid September.  Thomaso - I am confused when you say the photo is not RAW and also h_d when you say they are converted in camera.  I initially shot in both RAW and JPEG.  Transferred both from the camera to my computer using Canon EOS Utility (I said DPP in a previous post) into 2 folders - 1 for JPEG, and 1 for RAW.  I was opening the RAW Files with Affinity - all working well.  Then I switched to only RAW (Sept 20).  I checked my camera setting and it still shows RAW not CRAW.  I did test with CRAW and that was even worse so I went back to RAW. Oct 1 was when I started noticing some colors were darker in Affinity and they kept getting worse until you see what I posted from the spider photo.  Pretty bad at this point.   So again, thank you very much for all your responses and suggestions.  I definitely do not have the experience and knowledge that all of you have.  I will go back to using DPP for RAW.  I really appreciate all your help!!!  

I have the converse problem with cr3 files from my Canon PowerPoint SX70. They open fine in  Canon DPP, but it then immediately terminates. If I open in Affinity Photo, the image is fine and stays put.

It seems that there are CR3 files and CR3 files!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

10 hours ago, PatML said:

Thomaso - I am confused when you say the photo is not RAW (...)
I was opening the RAW Files with Affinity - all working well.  Then I switched to only RAW (Sept 20).  I checked my camera setting and it still shows RAW not CRAW.

=== EDIT: the data listed below for your 'bee' image possibly don't match exactly to the file's content: I just checked the metadata via Exiftool for four different files:
CR2 (canon '60D')  /  CR3 (canon 'G5X-II')  /  DNG (< CR2)  /  DNG (< CR3).
Some info appears confusing, for instance it says also "Compression: JPEG (old style)" + "Bits per Sample: 8 8 8" for both CR2 + CR3 – whereas for both DNG files "Compression: JPEG" + "Bits per Sample: 16". And it says "Compressor ID: CRAW" for the CR3 image – but not for CR2 + both DNG.
Unfortunately I don't currently know how these infos are according to the "real" files content (or e.g. rather to an included preview image). I am sorry if this post confuses you even more!
=======

For the 'bee' image JPG is mentioned as compression in AP's metadata info. – More details are given by the Exiftool, for instance:

Compressor Version: CanonCR3_001/00.10.00/00.00.00
Compression: JPEG (old-style)
Compressor ID: CRAW
Canon Firmware Version: Firmware Version 1.0.0   (–> note: there are two firmware updates available: 1.1.0 and 1.1.1)
Bits Per Sample: 8 8 8
Color Space: sRGB
Work Color Space: sRGB  (–> note: sRBG is a smaller color space compared to the available Adobe RGB) (or possibly even ProPhoto RGB for the R6?)
White Balance Adj: Shot Settings
WB Adj Color Temp: 5200  (–> note: 5200 is recognized by AP's metadata but is not used in AP's develop mode)
WB Adj Magenta Green: 0  (–> note: AP develop mode uses +50 instead)

So you might want to double-check what is set in the camera.
In particular your previous experience that it worked before as expected might mean the settings of the compared images were not identical.

Additionally, if you prefer to develop via AP instead DPP, as mentioned before, you could convert the CR3 files to DNG until AP's support gets updated for your camera. The current Adobe Raw Converter version 12.4. has your Canon R6 listed in its supported cameras.

On 10/11/2020 at 10:01 AM, PatML said:

First of all, thank you to everyone who has responded.  Yep, it is a new bleeding edge camera (surprise birthday gift from my husband and I am not a professional photographer - I just like taking wildlife photos) I did not want to get Photoshop and I thought Affinity could handle it especially when it was working well when I started using in mid September.  Thomaso - I am confused when you say the photo is not RAW and also h_d when you say they are converted in camera.  I initially shot in both RAW and JPEG.  Transferred both from the camera to my computer using Canon EOS Utility (I said DPP in a previous post) into 2 folders - 1 for JPEG, and 1 for RAW.  I was opening the RAW Files with Affinity - all working well.  Then I switched to only RAW (Sept 20).  I checked my camera setting and it still shows RAW not CRAW.  I did test with CRAW and that was even worse so I went back to RAW. Oct 1 was when I started noticing some colors were darker in Affinity and they kept getting worse until you see what I posted from the spider photo.  Pretty bad at this point.   So again, thank you very much for all your responses and suggestions.  I definitely do not have the experience and knowledge that all of you have.  I will go back to using DPP for RAW.  I really appreciate all your help!!!  

You're not alone - I have the identical problem with my new R5 raw files. Even when I use Adobe's DNG converter tool and first convert the .cr3 file to .dng, the .dng file that I open with Affinity has the exact same purple tint. I think we can only wait for Affinity to start supporting these newer cameras.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...