You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

14 hours ago, Colin Red said:

Hi, 

in the resize document panel in Affinity Photo (of which I enclose a screen shot ) Should the DPI selection not read PPI or left clear. In the description it also relates to DPI. .....  PPI for screens .... DPI for print as I understand.

Cheers

ddp.png

The developers know that PPI is the correct term, but they deliberately chose to use DPI rather than educate less well informed users.

You'll have noticed the growing trend of people writing "upload the file" when they really mean "open the file". In the not too distant future, the majority of people will use the wrong term and Affinity's File>Open command will be deliberately misnamed as File>Upload. I'm joking about that happening in Affinity, but nothing is impossible.

Hi,

after reviewing James Ritson's presentation on document resizing, his emphasis is on sizing for printing using dpi (dots per inch for printing ). I think this panel should indicate that it is for printing purposes only. For screens and web pages perhaps we should just use the export panel. I do not agree with your wording "The developers know that PPI is the correct term, but they deliberately chose to use DPI rather than educate less well informed users." We cannot assume that PPI and DPI are the same. The printing world uses DPI while screen devices use PPI. 

1 hour ago, Colin Red said:

Hi,

after reviewing James Ritson's presentation on document resizing, his emphasis is on sizing for printing using dpi (dots per inch for printing ). 

James Ritson is aware that the correct unit for the pixel density of a digital image is PPI (pixels per inch) and not DPI (dots per inch).

Affinity deliberately wrongly uses the term DPI (dots per inch) where the correct term is PPI, so James writes/says DPI in his information about Affinity because DPI is the term that the user sees in the Affinity interface.

Dots per inch, used correctly, refers to the dot density of the output of an imagesetter or printer, and these devices will typically output many physical dots to reproduce one pixel of a digital image. 

However, the situation today is that many people and much software uses DPI to refer to pixel density of a digital image or a display screen, so Affinity's developers have chosen to go with the flow and use DPI where PPI should be used in the user interface.

I think this panel should indicate that it is for printing purposes only.

The panel certainly is not for printing purposes only. It is for resizing a digital document, regardless of whether the destination is print or screen or whatever, and it provides no control over the dots per inch output by a printer.

We cannot assume that PPI and DPI are the same. The printing world uses DPI while screen devices use PPI. 

I'm saying that DPI and PPI are not the same thing, and it's unfortunate that Affinity promotes the popular misuse of the term DPI.

Unfortunately, Serif doesn't bother with any letters and their different meanings.

Somewhat sad for a professional company that should be a role model for us laymen and amateurs.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 8 months later...

I just get my Affinity Photo today, and the first issue I have with the software is also this! (Resize feature under Document using dpi, instead of ppi) I search posts relating to the topic on the forum, and it goes way back to 2016. I'm so surprised they still didn't correct this. and keep using the wrong term in 2021. 

Even more surprises, the response around the same issue from a certified moderator in one of the old post goes:   
"..., but there is a widespread acceptance of the term DPI as being understood to mean PPI. "  

No, it's NOT a widespread acceptance, it's being WIDELY MISUSED. 

I've seen many comments on loving how affinity actively keeps improving its product, esp in response to user feedback. But to keep misusing dpi vs. ppi on more than one place is BAD! Plz make corrections ASAP, it's a huge shame that this kind of mistake would even appear.