You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Working exclusively with pixels, not points

I'd like to configure AD to work with pixels throughout, not points. Even if a document's unit type is pixels, it seems that points continue to be the only units for some things. For example, I can't figure out how to set the stroke width in pixels. I can't even figure out how to change the dimensions of the overage image. (It's locked in the document setup.) I suspect that it's very, very easy, but it's not readily apparent to me. 

In an ideal world, and I'd to set the document units to pixels and never see 'pt' again while I'm working on that document.

I'm confident that I'm missing something. Advice?

Thanks, David.

Edited by David.Woosley

Check your preferences in the User Interface and uncheck the Text in Points and Lines in Points.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thank you. It would have taken me a while to find it. It's tucked away.

It might be worth considering whether the units associated with lines, text or other things should match the document units by default.

I clearly need to take one or more tutorials. It's a sweet product.

Again, thanks. --D.

16 minutes ago, David.Woosley said:

I clearly need to take one or more tutorials.

And when you get stuck ask here. Fairly friendly bunch of people.For what it is worth I like Text in Points, lines I don't care too much about but Text is in Points (My moniker has Old in it for a reason [slightly wrinkled smiley face emoticon]). Just stay off the lawn.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

Easiest way is to use the artboard tool. First make your selection and then insert an artboard using the Selection choice for size. If you already have an artboard then use the move tool to move the stuff out of the artboard and make one using the selection.

It appears that the trick is to create artboards using 'Selection', then keep deleting the artboards (and keep the objects) so that I can manually change the size of the image if necessary, and, as a bonus, avoid inadvertently putting objects on the dozens of artboards that might be created during the course of the design. Is there a better way? Thanks.

6 minutes ago, David.Woosley said:

Is there a better way?

You can use the Export Persona. That will allow you to make Slices which can be any size and will probably be better if you want to export many versions or collections of things in your document.