You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using Non-Installed Fonts?

Hey everyone - Is there a way to use fonts that are NOT installed on the computer? I'm on Win10 without Admin access. Our IT department installed Publisher for me (with some convincing) but I also cannot install any new fonts myself. I'm currently stuck with whatever is already included in Windows unless I can point to another folder that has the TTF or OTF files I'd like to use.  Is that at all possible, or must fonts be "properly" installed? Thanks!

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. 

No, the fonts must be properly installed in Windows before Affinity can use them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 hours ago, RLaundry said:

Hey everyone - Is there a way to use fonts that are NOT installed on the computer? I'm on Win10 without Admin access. Our IT department installed Publisher for me (with some convincing) but I also cannot install any new fonts myself. I'm currently stuck with whatever is already included in Windows unless I can point to another folder that has the TTF or OTF files I'd like to use.  Is that at all possible, or must fonts be "properly" installed? Thanks!

Can you run Windows Explorer in Admin mode?
Right-click on Windows Explorer and see if you have Run as Administrator as an option in that dialog.

4 hours ago, LibreTraining said:

Can you run Windows Explorer in Admin mode?

In order to run anything in Admin mode on an ordinary Windows user account you need an admin username and password, and if you have those you can log in as an admin to install anything you want.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

31 minutes ago, RLaundry said:

called IT and had them remote into my system and install them for me. I'm good for now!

Check out a show called "The IT Crowd" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0487831/  Very British humour, it will give you an insight into just who those people are.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

FWIW, a way to use fonts that are not installed is to put the PortableApps app on a flash drive, then put the fonts you want to use in the fonts folder in PortableApps. If you then run PortableApps on your PC the fonts will be available in other apps, including Affinity. I used to use this work around at work, until IT gave me permissions to install fonts. Incidentally, the first time I asked one of the IT guys to install a font for me, several years ago, he said he didn't know how to install fonts, so I had to show him how to do it!  (https://portableapps.com/)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

13 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Check out a show called "The IT Crowd"

My favourite gag was when one of the guys had a tape recorder next to his desk. Every time he got a phone call wanting support he just hit the tape and it said, "Turn it off, turn it back on again"!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

On 10/4/2020 at 6:45 AM, PaulEC said:

FWIW, a way to use fonts that are not installed is to put the PortableApps app on a flash drive, then put the fonts you want to use in the fonts folder in PortableApps. If you then run PortableApps on your PC the fonts will be available in other apps, including Affinity. I used to use this work around at work, until IT gave me permissions to install fonts. Incidentally, the first time I asked one of the IT guys to install a font for me, several years ago, he said he didn't know how to install fonts, so I had to show him how to do it!  (https://portableapps.com/)

Now that's a handy workaround, thanks! I'll file that one away for future reference...