You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Freeform gradient tool

Never heard of that software before - thanks for the tip; looks like it would work fine for paint or designer. Very nice gradient ability! I find the gradient tool in AP to be very limited, this would make it a pure joy to work with :)

if Affinity photo would have a gradient tool like Affinity Designer (without the "workaround" of adding a shape, add transparency on that, apply that as a mask...) i would already be happy.

just click on object with the gradient and drag. done.

should be easy to add to photo...!

hope it will be soon.

d

19 minutes ago, deedee123 said:

if Affinity photo would have a gradient tool like Affinity Designer

Seems the same in both to me – what's the difference between them?

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

16 minutes ago, Nikon Shooter said:

That wood make APhoto perform non related tasks to photography

The gradient tool in AP is actually very useful. I don't see how it can be said that it is not related to tasks in photography!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

6 minutes ago, Nikon Shooter said:

Designer is a vector graphic app as Photo is a pixel editor.

I meant, what is the difference between the gradient tool in AD and AP! – deedee123 said "if Affinity photo would have a gradient tool like Affinity Designer".

Hi Paul,  

photography needs a given toolbox that is different, more ap-
propriate to pixel editing. To be including vector graphics on a
photo would make am image (IMO) look phoney at best unless
it is no longer an image but a layout — and that's Publisher's job.

Working as a photographer in the publishing industry, I use both
Photo and Publisher but only after development in an other app
that is a proper converter.

Hi,

I often copy / paste pixel images as objects/layers in another, for this it can be very useful to be able to make a nice gradient transparency.

for instance my 360 degree drone shots all need sky replacement, it's good to "fade" the transparency of the new sky towards the horizon of the background.
but there are many more uses. a program like photo-paint (i bought in 1999!) has the same tool as affinity designer, just click a layer with that transparency tool. adjust, done. however in affinity photo you first need to add a shape, then add the gradient (transparency) to that shape, and then use that shape as mask for the layer you actually want to have the gradient on.

it's not too terrible, but the shape part seems just a bit of a detour to me.

d

2 hours ago, Nikon Shooter said:

photography needs a given toolbox that is different, more ap-
propriate to pixel editing. To be including vector graphics on a
photo would make am image (IMO) look phoney at best unless
it is no longer an image but a layout — and that's Publisher's job.

Sorry, I don't see what this has to do with the Gradient Tool!

We obviously use photo editing software in different ways! Sometimes, for example,  I want to add a graduated colour to the sky or a graduated blur to a background, hence I need to use masks and the Gradient Tool. The Gradient Tool has nothing to do with vectors, it works only on raster (pixel) layers.

1 hour ago, deedee123 said:

in affinity photo you first need to add a shape, then add the gradient (transparency) to that shape, and then use that shape as mask for the layer you actually want to have the gradient on.

The original post was about gradients (and I do think that that freeflow gradient tool does look interesting).

You said you wished that Photo had a Gradient Tool like Designer. The Gradient Tool (actually called the Fill Tool in Designer) is the same in both apps. You seem now to be talking about the Transparency Tool, which is only available in Designer. In Photo you just need to add a mask then put a black/white gradient on the mask, I'm not sure why you need a "shape". If you only want to affect part of the image you can add a selection before adding the mask.

hi,

yes indeed my bad, i got a bit confused from watching a few video's about how to do the gradient transparency on a layer in Affinity Photo

in designer you just click the tool and drag, in Photo there isn't such tool, and you need the workaround (that's how i feel it) to add a shape (like a rectangle), make a gradient on that, change the transparency on the gradient, then apply that as mask to the layer.

so i think it would be very convenient to have the transparency tool in Affinity photo as well. (perhaps also to be able to feather a layer, so in many circumstances it blends in better)

d

I must agree, I have no idea why they didn't include a Transparency Tool in Photo, it would be handy sometimes.!  :/

glad you agree, hope they consider it. should not be too hard to implement...!

as i said i do a lot of sky replacement, but also patching up stuff by copying a selection and paste it somewhere else, gradient transparency comes in very handy making it blend good and quick. (as would a feather option for a layer, which is also sadly missing, another feature i expected/took for granted because my 1999 corel photo paint already has it!!)  

d