You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[MAC] Publisher: Export to PDF corrupts accented characters if they have a large font size

As discussed in this thread:

Here is text with accented characters in Publisher (set at 30pt font size):

919677634_ScreenShot2020-10-01at11_05_22.jpg.4ac020ab54e5ee49904f02addd4b33ff.jpg

Here is how it looks like when exported to PDF

1186847861_ScreenShot2020-10-01at11_07_41.jpg.12a81e52a7a55f115d133f8224e84fa8.jpg

The font being used is Rubik from Google Fonts. However, the issue persists even if it is replaced with another font such as Helvetica.

It will import fine as a PNG. 

The issue only occurs if the font is a certain size. Here is text from the same document set at 24pt and it is fine:

1233195224_ScreenShot2020-10-01at11_55_13.jpg.12d106ba02ddc956fcbbe22f821b339a.jpg

I can't share the whole file, but I have attached a sample that has one of the problem headings. 

People in the thread have tried it on Windows and it works fine. However, I have tested it both on Mac OS 10.14.6 and 10.15 and the issue persists. 

sample.afpub

I have confirmed in Publisher 1.8.4 on macOS 10.14.6 that the file exports incorrectly. I chose the "PDF (for print)" preset.

@big smile I don't know if you are needing a workaround while this issue is waiting on a resolution, but in case you are, I can suggest that you swap the composed character (which are two characters in the encoded text stream: an E character and an accent character) with the single accented capital E character. This latter case will export correctly. Here is an edited version of your file where I have used the standard accented É character in the duplicated text (second version).

workaround.afpub.zip

Edit: I could not upload the file as I usually can; the forum software kept giving error -200. But it works when I zipped the file. I'm sorry about that additional annoyance.

Edited by garrettm30
Forum error in uploading attachment

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Hi both,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

This file opens "incorrectly" for me from the start. But this is expected, as the 

É is not actually a glyph, but just a normal "E" with a " ` " next to it. 

Screen_Recording_2020-10-13_at_09_59_05.mov 14.59 MB · 0 downloads

Hmmm... that's interesting, as for me it's a proper É from the start. 

In my case, just this morning, the design of the headings changed to become smaller, so it all exports fine now. Although it's a bizarre issues, especially because it all exports fine on Windows!