You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher: Accented characters export oddly as PDF

It looks as though the acute accent is being added separately to the E (and incorrectly positioned on top of it) instead of an É glyph being used.

What font is it? Do you get the same result with other fonts?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

17 minutes ago, big smile said:

The font is Rubik from Google fonts: https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Rubik

As I suspected, there’s no É glyph: there’s only E and Ë. The font seems to be squarely aimed at users of Eastern European, Cyrillic, and Hebrew alphabets.

Alfred spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

As I suspected, there’s no É glyph: there’s only E and Ë. The font seems to be squarely aimed at users of Eastern European, Cyrillic, and Hebrew alphabets.

So I guess I'll have to pick another font. Odd that it displays correct in Publisher but only comes out wrong when exported into a PDF (and only from a Publisher export, as it exports fine from Affinity Photo). 

Interestingly, if the font is set at a lower font size then it will export correctly from Publisher:

691006139_ScreenShot2020-10-01at11_55_13.jpg.1e80717e9352460ce31c70b3ff5084ce.jpg

^ This is set at 22pt and exports correctly (The screen shot is from the PDF export)

1283368185_ScreenShot2020-10-01at11_56_43.jpg.50fe9d2776934ba39c9897fd10408e25.jpg

^ This is set at 30pt and it is borked!

5 minutes ago, big smile said:

Interestingly, if the font is set at a lower font size then it will export correctly from Publisher

That is indeed interesting! :o

Alfred spacer.png

I don’t think the font is the issue, because if I replace those lines with Helvetica, but keep the font size the same, the issue remains:

2103309659_ScreenShot2020-10-01at12_12_53.jpg.b61de517e2c7f9823a324bcd5291daef.jpg

Interestingly, with Helvetica, the issue occurs both in the Affinity Publisher document and the PDF (whereas with Rubik font it is correct in the Affinity Publisher document but incorrect in the PDF).

6 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

Which style of this font did you specifically use? And Windows or macOS version?

I am using Bold and Regular on Mac Os 10.14.6

3 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

Could it be using a baseline grid that somehow affects only the diacritics?

I haven't set up any baseline grid.

Here are my font settings in the stylesheet

Font: Rubik; Font weight: Bold; Italic: Off; Font width: Normal; Font size: 30 pt; All caps; Align paragraph: Center; Leading mode: % ideal; Leading: 100 %; Space after: 15 pt

Here is the character panel for the font:

465462971_ScreenShot2020-10-01at12_26_34.jpg.dea1b088bb7ae265f5c8340f416fd167.jpg

Here is the paragraph panel for the font:

1703059797_ScreenShot2020-10-01at12_28_16.jpg.7af22762c6407bfd39e088bc4dca2a65.jpg

21 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

UPDATE: E.g., could it be that this only occurs on the top line of a text frame? Or that you are running Publisher beta and having one of its top frame alignment options that is buggy and causes this behavior?

The text is at the top line of the frame. Originally, the text frame was set to Vertical: top align. However, I tried center align, and the issue persists. I am using Publisher 1.8.4 (retail version) on Mac OS 10.14.6

3 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

Or can you avoid this if you export to PDF and do not allow subsetting of the font (this option is under the export settings):

subsetting_off.jpg.14531a86455609172347162ebb457042.jpg

Same issue with the Subset disabled. Here are all my PDF settings:

1594229453_ScreenShot2020-10-01at12_47_47.jpg.bed4027117d7c5c61ac5e44f4da75d8e.jpg

BTW, thanks for all your help so far! :)

1 hour ago, Lagarto said:

The font also seems to have all regular diacritics

I based my earlier comment

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

on this table from the Google Fonts page:

B59A1E19-219E-4A2E-A5B8-DC5229D8A552.jpeg
Looking again now, I don’t even see any diacritics on their own.

Alfred spacer.png

I've tried restarting the mac and also uninstalling Publisher (using Appcleaner to completely wipe out all traces of it), but the issue still persists. 

I can't share the whole file, but I have attached a sample that has one of the problem headings. Maybe it might help someone find a solution. 

sample.afpub

Seems to be a Mac problem. Everything fine here on Win 10. If it is just the headings, how about converting them to curves as a workaround?

rubik.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

6 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Seems to be a Mac problem. Everything fine here on Win 10. If it is just the headings, how about converting them to curves as a workaround?

Thanks, is there an easy way to convert to everything curves (preferably on export, so I can leave the original document unchanged without having to make a back up copy). It's a long document with over 100 pages.

38 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Seems to be a Mac problem. Everything fine here on Win 10.

That doesn’t look fine to me! The acute accent should be horizontally centred over the É, not offset to the right.

Alfred spacer.png