You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Epson Printer L1800 crashing AD on print dialog

PJD

Hi there.

I have an Epson Ecotank L1800 with the latest drivers and when i open the print dialog for any file, as soon as I select the L1800 designer (and photo) just crashes and closes. I've submitted the crash reports to Apple and waiting to hear back from the supplier of the printer. 

In the meantime, I'm exporting to a tiff and printing from Preview, but if anyone knows how to get this fixed that would be great. I can use the printer from all other applications on the iMac Pro, its only Affinity products are affected. 

It's the same if i try to print any file, even a blank document. 

Affinity Designer 1.8.4
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7
Connected via USB
Epson Ecotank L1800 Driver version 9.19 updated via the Apple updater from the Epson website

Thanks. 

Hi @PJD Sorry to hear you are having this issue. Would you be able to upload the crash report here so we can take a look please?

Glad you have a workaround so can still work. When I had issues with a Canon printer years ago they told me to always print from Preview too so I got into the habit of not printing from apps. 

3 hours ago, SPaceBar said:

Hi @PJD Sorry to hear you are having this issue. Would you be able to upload the crash report here so we can take a look please?

Glad you have a workaround so can still work. When I had issues with a Canon printer years ago they told me to always print from Preview too so I got into the habit of not printing from apps. 

Thanks for the reply. Do i just select all the text in the report and save it to a text file and add here? Is that safe? i mean, is there anything in there that's going to affect my privacy? @SPaceBar

Cheers.

Phill 

Thanks for the crash report, I'm going to log this issue as specific to your printer. Before I do would you be able to try removing your printer from Printers & Scanners in System Preferences and then re-adding it? It might clear the problem.

If this doesn't work is there any way you could make a small video of this happening so I can include it in with the issue?

• If you could enable Mouse Click first as well that could be a big help
    • Click Cmd + Shift + 5 > Select Options - Show Mouse Clicks

Hi PJD,

can you try the following:

Activate "Reset Presets Menu to Default Settings After Printing" as shown in the screenshot (found under "Show presets.." in the Presets dropdown menu).

You can do that from any other printer that works.

Then close Affinity and restart and try the Epson. It might crash again but then on the second attempt there is a chance it might work.

Screenshot.thumb.png.2dbd9cc69aa3f6db1ee85971a20937f9.png

well @zimmt that worked perfectly, thanks very much!!! :)

when i restarted it didn't crash when i selected the epson.... that is, until i selected 'last used settings' lol, but i suspect that was expected.. so i restarted and printed it by selecting the options i wanted manually and it worked fine. so i went ahead and unticked the reset presets box (so i could use the last used settings) and it all seems to work fine :)

so i'm able to print directly from AD and i think it's all good now, so thanks very much for that! If anything changes in the meantime i'll let you know in this thread. 

thanks.

phill