You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Automatically close unused artboards

I would love to have an option that would close all the artboards that are not currently active. It would help a lot in navigating complex files with dozen of artboards (or pages).

By the way an option to expand or collapse all sub-layers/objects when alt clicking the arrow of a layer/object would be nice too.

1 hour ago, fdelaneau said:

I would love to have an option that would close all the artboards that are not currently active.

May I ask, how do you define 'currently not active'? I do not quite understand your request but I'm curious 🙂

Thanks,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

When you switch from one artboard to another. The current selected artboard is the active one while all others are inactive.

If you checked the option to automatically show the selected layer it can quickly become quite dense and collapsing all but the current useful information would be nice 😍

I hope this description can be better understood.

Even when switching the app in English the documentation still shows in French so I don’t always have the proper names 😖

2 hours ago, fdelaneau said:

When you switch from one artboard to another. The current selected artboard is the active one while all others are inactive.

If you checked the option to automatically show the selected layer it can quickly become quite dense and collapsing all but the current useful information would be nice 😍

I hope this description can be better understood.

Even when switching the app in English the documentation still shows in French so I don’t always have the proper names 😖

Hi @fdelaneau,

thanks for explaining. So you mean only the way artboards are displayed in the layers panel. My misunderstanding was that you meant to remove these somehow from the file or the work area.

I can think that this may be usefull in some documents.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

1 hour ago, fdelaneau said:

I think this is due to the fact that the affinity team doesn’t activate the display current layer in their preferences. Depending on the way you work it is a problem that they never encountered

If you mean the app preference "Auto-Scroll to Show Selection in Layers Panel" I don't think it's activation or deactivation matters here. If it's off then we need to unfold artboard layers, too, additionally to the current need to collapse them manually. So, once artboards got unfolded then having the option unticked would not reduce or influence the mess in the layer panel.Possibly other users don't pay much attention to the Layer Panel when working in AD, stay focused on the document / layout window?

Actually, this "Auto-Scroll" function seems incomplete programmed to me: Like an elevator door that 'magically' opens by itself ... but has to be closed manually every time.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1