You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Table of Contents Issues

Hello,

I have previously created tables of contents in many documents using paragraph styles with no issues. It's a great feature. However, when I attempted today, in every single document I tried, I receive the error "No table of contents entries found." I even attempted to created a new table of contents in a document that already has one, and the same error came up (I do have all of the appropriate paragraph styles "checked" on the left TOC sidebar). It would, however, update the existing table of contents. What do you think the problem is?

I would love some help with this.

Thank you!

16 minutes ago, RenWaller said:

I receive the error "No table of contents entries found."

Hi @RenWaller,

for TOCs at the end of a document it is important to activate 'Include entries before TOC'. Is perhaps that the case?

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

11 hours ago, RenWaller said:

Actually, that's exactly the problem. Thank you for the recommendation.

Glad you got this sorted out 🙂

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

8 hours ago, undercovergypsy said:

I am confused as to why, though. I am on my first page and at the beginning of my document. Can you explain what is happening so that I have the full picture? Thanks

Hi @undercovergypsy,

if you have the TOC on the first page this might confuse me as well. I just double checked and inserted in a test document a TOC on the first page. Make sure you are checking the correct Style Name to look for.

Perhaps you can post the document to look at it?

Cheers,
d.

• 2 years later...

I am using AP 2.1.1. the lates version.  I created my document. Then using the Section Manager, I identified 3  sections (so far). I then wanted to add a TOC. I found the TOC manager but when I click on add TOC all I get is "No table of contents entries found."   I am new to this and have been learning as I go.  Any idea what I have done wrong?  Thank you for your help

28 minutes ago, BobZ6 said:

I am using AP 2.1.1. the lates version.  I created my document. Then using the Section Manager, I identified 3  sections (so far). I then wanted to add a TOC. I found the TOC manager but when I click on add TOC all I get is "No table of contents entries found."   I am new to this and have been learning as I go.  Any idea what I have done wrong?  Thank you for your help

Where are you trying to insert the TOC, and what options have you selected in the TOC panel?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

40 minutes ago, BobZ6 said:

I did not realize that you had to use the programs Heading 1 paragraph style

You can use any Paragraph Text Styles you want, including ones you create. But you have to configure the TOC in the TOC panel so it knows what to do.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, BobZ6 said:

How do you configure TOC to accept other heading. 

What other Paragraph Text Style do you want it to pick up?

-- Walt
PC:

I have a question related to this issue please. 

I have managed to create another quandary for myself. I am trying to create a TOC but each time AP does so, the text of the TOC populates centred and there are no full stops/dots starting from the chapter titles to the page numbers. In fact, no page numbers populate. I have checked my text style to make sure the alignment is not centred but still the TOC text populates centred. And with no page numbers. Not sure what I've done wrong and any help is appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Horizon3 said:

I have a question related to this issue please. 

I have managed to create another quandary for myself. I am trying to create a TOC but each time AP does so, the text of the TOC populates centred and there are no full stops/dots starting from the chapter titles to the page numbers. In fact, no page numbers populate. I have checked my text style to make sure the alignment is not centred but still the TOC text populates centred. And with no page numbers. Not sure what I've done wrong and any help is appreciated. 

The use of page numbers is controlled by clicking the settings icon next to the text style name in the TOC panel.

If the TOC is being generated centered, that may mean that you have selected Centered in the Context Toolbar for the Text Frame you're generating it in.

The Leader Dots are controlled by the Tab Stops settings for the generated TOC Text Styles, if I remember correctly. You should be able to edit those Text Styles to set them as you want them.

-- Walt
PC:

Thank you @walt.farrell. I have tried your suggestions. 

42 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The use of page numbers is controlled by clicking the settings icon next to the text style name in the TOC panel.

When I implemented this suggestion of yours all of the problems were fixed. I very much appreciate your help. 

I am curious and am hoping you can explain: below the box to include page numbers there is a box that says "indent level" and it has a pull down menu to enter values. I experimented and entered numbers but observed no change in my TOC. Do you know what is this "indent level" and how it works, please?

48 minutes ago, Horizon3 said:

I am curious and am hoping you can explain: below the box to include page numbers there is a box that says "indent level" and it has a pull down menu to enter values. I experimented and entered numbers but observed no change in my TOC. Do you know what is this "indent level" and how it works, please?

It is supposed to nest different levels of headings, but indenting is not set in the default TOC paragraph styles, so you have to define them yourself in these paragraph styles. 

Secondly (and this works well), it will nest and indent PDF bookmarks when exported in PDF. 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.