You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export to PDF including layer with PMS

I've seen a number of discussions, but somehow they never really "solved" it, as it seems. The problem I experience is that when using a PMS color as a SPOT and OVERPRINT color in a separate layer, the export fails to retain this. Not only is the layer renamed, but also the PMS color (the actual PMS, not the layer) is lost. When importing the pdf, the PMS color (layer) is converted based on CMYK. This happens both in Photo and Designer.

What did I do? I've added the color (PMS 803 U) as a Global color, with SPOT and OVERPRINT selected. I have selected the item, filled it using the bucket and then renamed the layer. I've saved it using Export >> PDF >> Preset PDF/X-3:2003. Here I kept everything standard, including: overprint black and honour spot colours. Then, when testing, I see that the two layers are there, but the PMS color seems to have been changed.

The printer says this isn't possible with Affinity, but I hope it is. Would hate to have to go back to Adobe... Any help is highly appreciated!!

• Staff

Hi @Moje,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

This isn't something I've heard of previously as I believe these spot colours should be retained when exporting to PDF.

Could you please provide a copy of your Affinity document so that I can investigate this further?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

@Lagarto Only to vector objects, even within Affinity Photo? That doesn't make a lot of sense imho. Can I still cut off or hide part of the vector? As otherwise, it isn't very usefull, not in my case at least.

And thanks for helping me out ;-)

Edited by Moje

• Staff

Thanks for your document!

8 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

Note that you can only apply spot colors to vector objects in Affinity apps

Spot colours can be applied to any object, vector or pixel, however when exporting they will only be retained as spot colours for vector objects.

This is due to Affinity apps not yet supporting 'Spot channels', which are required to retain spot colour information within a pixel layer/selection when exported to PDF.

We may support this feature in the future, although we have no timescale for this currently, my apologies! 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

@Dan C Clear, thank you

@Lagarto Thank you as well!

So do i understand it correctly that in the future I should add a form which is comparable to the form I need, convert it to curves and sort of match the required form? In this design I used the Selection Brush Tool, but that won't work for this kind of job, correctly?

• Staff
3 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

How can I tell if a pixel layer has been assigned a spot color? Selecting a pixel layer with assumed spot color assignment does not cause changing of color swatch assignment, as selecting a vector object with a spot color assignment does. Also, how can you tell whether a pixel layer has an overprint attribute applied?

Apologies, in my testing the Tint option for the Colour Studio was not correctly updating, which made it appear as though the app was detecting my pixel fill had a spot colour applied - but this was just a temporary UI bug and you're correct in saying this fill we be applied, but not as a 'spot' or 'overprint' colour that can be recognised as such - thanks for clearing that up for me :)

Please note -

Many thanks!