You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've been drawing some leaves and they have an outline and a fill. Overlaid on top is a group of curves to represent the veins in the leaf.  These use two strokes a thicker dark one underneath a thinner light one (with no fill).

image.png.965913d407994e36ae61a3f8d9102a0f.png

Now I need to scale the leaves.

I thought I had set Scale with object on everything but it appears not to have been set on the lighter stroke.

So how to update all the curves (several hundred of them) without selecting each one and modifying the setting?

(As an aside Select same in the Beta doesn't provide an option to select just these as the double stroke in Appearance is not a match option).

Selecting an individual curve allows it to be updated by clicking the stroke with in the Appearance panel. Selecting a group and toggling the checkbox has no effect on the stroke Scale with object setting.

Selecting multiple curves and then going into Appearance only shows a single stroke setting and not the two that they all possess.

Selecting a curve, copying it and then selecting the group and pasting the style doesn't appear to update all curves either.

27 minutes ago, Sven Kalkschmidt said:

Strokes inside of groups don't inherit the "Scale with object" setting.

I've been moaning about this for years, how hard could it be to make the tick boxes for both strokes and FX sticky so you set them once and not have an hour or twos worth of bother going through nested layers to put things right

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• Staff

Hi @Paul Mc :)

Could you please provide a copy of your Affinity document, so I can investigate the best options for you?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for your file Paul (provided via DMs) - I've looked into this and I can confirm the following:

On 9/30/2020 at 2:06 PM, Paul Mc said:

I thought I had set Scale with object on everything but it appears not to have been set on the lighter stroke.

• When adding a new stroke attribute to a curve, it doesn't keep the 'Scale with object' option that's applied to the curve object itself. This is intentional, although I do agree that it would be better for new strokes in the appearance panel to retain this setting, so I'll log it as an improvement with our developers now.

So how to update all the curves (several hundred of them) without selecting each one and modifying the setting?

• As far as I know, there's no option to bulk update all of these curves currently, which I will also add to the above improvement.

Selecting multiple curves and then going into Appearance only shows a single stroke setting and not the two that they all possess.

• Different objects can have so many different variations/combinations of strokes and fills so it will never be able to accurately portray all of them for all objects, so what the Appearance Panel does is show the currently editable stroke or fill (the one with the white dot next to it, not the 'original' for cases where you have multiple strokes and fills). This is by design and just a limitation of having multiple objects with multiple different attributes and fills.

Selecting a curve, copying it and then selecting the group and pasting the style doesn't appear to update all curves either.

• This is a known bug when using Paste Style for an object that has multiple attributes applied, I'll bump this report with your thread now.

I hope this clears things up, and my apologies for any inconveniences caused.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thanks Dan

It's good to hear that some of this will make it into the specs for a future release.

Regarding selecting multiple objects with different combinations and permutations of strokes; I agree with what you are saying. However, when all the properties for that panel are the same then this becomes straightforward. Maybe the new Select Same feature might lead to something workable in this area? Alternatively, why not show nothing with the intention of any edits simply replacing those attributes on the selected curves? Because you currently show something it suggests that those attributes apply to the selected objects when they may not. E.g. select a few curves of different widths, the stroke width slider is still visible and can be dragged to change the thickness of everything selected.

I look forward to seeing improvements in a future release.

Thanks for the prompt response.

I was just scaling a symbol and ran into what I think you are describing. The widths of the strokes all got too thick and I couldn't figure out what was going on. Then I remembered the option for 'Scale with object.' And then, as you, I was wondering how to apply this setting to everything without having to do it individually. Well I discovered that, as long as you have curves in groups, you can select the group in the layers panel then go to the stroke settings that pop up at the top of the program window and check the selection there to have it apply to the group.

Hi Maurice, that's what I did. My results can be seen here: 

For a curve with a single stroke "Appearance" this is fine and appears to work correctly. For those with a stack of strokes of different widths this seems not to work as expected - at least for me.

• 2 years later...
  • Staff

I can confirm the following in AFD V2:

• You can select multiple Curve objects on the canvas and change this Scale with Object setting.

• Grouping Curves with this setting enabled will retain the setting for each object, and by default doesn't enable the option for the group - however enabling/disabling this option for the group container will bulk update all objects in the group to match.

• On 10/1/2020 at 2:53 PM, Dan C said:

• When adding a new stroke attribute to a curve, it doesn't keep the 'Scale with object' option that's applied to the curve object itself. This is intentional, although I do agree that it would be better for new strokes in the appearance panel to retain this setting, so I'll log it as an improvement with our developers now.

• As far as I know, there's no option to bulk update all of these curves currently, which I will also add to the above improvement.

• Different objects can have so many different variations/combinations of strokes and fills so it will never be able to accurately portray all of them for all objects, so what the Appearance Panel does is show the currently editable stroke or fill (the one with the white dot next to it, not the 'original' for cases where you have multiple strokes and fills). This is by design and just a limitation of having multiple objects with multiple different attributes and fills.

The above is still true.

I hope this helps!

Please note -

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Puedo confirmar lo siguiente en AFD V2:

• Puede seleccionar varios objetos de Curva en el lienzo y cambiar esta configuración de Escala con objeto.

• La agrupación de curvas con esta configuración habilitada conservará la configuración para cada objeto y, de forma predeterminada, no habilita la opción para el grupo; sin embargo, habilitar/deshabilitar esta opción para el contenedor del grupo actualizará en masa todos los objetos del grupo para que coincidan.

• Lo anterior sigue siendo cierto.

¡Espero que esto ayude!

Thank you for your quick response but I can't simultaneously select objects that are inside and outside. is there any way to do it?

image.png.4c303c136170a7d99bec7db684c6c5cd.pngimage.png.99d9216daa2f2e85520d333d11d11964.png

• Staff
6 hours ago, rvsf said:

I can't simultaneously select objects that are inside and outside. is there any way to do it?

Unfortunately it's not possible to simultaneously select both a 'parent' object and the 'child' object nested within at the same time - however I believe that enabling the option for the Layer 'Capa 1' in the Stroke Studio should update all objects within.

I've tested this behaviour here and it appears to work for any 'parent' objects within the Layer, but not 'child' layers which I believe is a bug, so I will be logging this with our developers now :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

My apologies, as I overlooked one of the new features in Designer 2 - the Transform Studio has a 'Scale Override' option, which when enabled will force any object you are transforming (including nested child layers) to scale all strokes applied.

image.png

Please note however this option only works when scaling proportionally (ie with the Shift key held down).

I hope this helps!

Please note -

Many thanks!

19 hours ago, Dan C said:

My apologies, as I overlooked one of the new features in Designer 2 - the Transform Studio has a 'Scale Override' option, which when enabled will force any object you are transforming (including nested child layers) to scale all strokes applied.

image.png

Please note however this option only works when scaling proportionally  (ie with the Shift key held down).

I hope this helps!

Great!!! Just yesterday I saw this feature in Publisher and thought it only worked in Publisher but now I know it doesn't!!! Also work with effects! it is fantastic! I hope that follow improve affinity! Well done! :)