You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi crayons,

Can't say i've seen that happen before.  It's almost like Outline view is enabled but that doesn't explain why no layer is present.  Do you have the afdesign file you could attach?  Also are you able to replicate it the issue in a new file?

21 hours ago, stokerg said:

Hi crayons,

Can't say i've seen that happen before.  It's almost like Outline view is enabled but that doesn't explain why no layer is present.  Do you have the afdesign file you could attach?  Also are you able to replicate it the issue in a new file?

Hello @stokerg, This is the second time this happened. No, I do not have the file. All I can say is that I had had this file open for a long time this morning. I have changed the grid many, many times. I have added and deleted a lot of objects (100's) while this file was open. Sometimes out of the blue, the keyboard shortcuts would stop working, then I select the Designer window, and the top bar turns white and says Affinity Designer Not responding.  

The PC I am using was given to me.
Windows 10 V. 10.0.19041 build 19041 - Inteli-5 2500k 3.30GHz - 8Gb memory - Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 Ti.

@crayons nice magic trick!!

@stokerg I was able to recreate this. Demo vid below and example file attached. (Using Beta 1.8.4.3)

The key is deleting an object with all it's nodes selected with the Alt/option key pressed (that part isn't evident in the video....).
This is, at least, just one way of achieving this behavior... there may be others 🤔.
It'll happen with multiple objects selected too. There just can't be anything left on the canvas after the delete.
Anything you try to create after that, except for text, is a phantom.
BUT, If you delete the "object that isn't there" (😝) then the layers functionality comes back.
(Edit: actually, looks like functionality comes back if you hit any key. Or if you click off off the phantom onto the workspace and try to draw again.)

Magic trick.afdesign

Looks like an undertermined state, where no 'object redraw' calls are fired then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff
13 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

I was able to recreate this. Demo vid below and example file attached. (Using Beta 1.8.4.3)

Thanks for the recording that was a big help :)

Also i've just tested this in the Latest beta (1.9.0.767 for Windows and 1.9.0.2 for Mac) and this isn't happening any more so it appears to be fixed :)

@crayons Could you try using the latest beta from here and you should find this doesn't happen again.